Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailwheel

Default Re: Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Ok? So Pictured is the THREE leaf Spring? Correct? I have to look, but mine too must be the three leaf.
    I'm looking for a pic of the newer TWO Leaf Spring.

Steve
    Yes that is the 3 leaf on my s/n 293. Can't find a picture of the Two leaf spring but I have seen one at the local service center.
    Jon

Default Re: Alaskan Bushwheel Tail Spring • 2 leaf setup • Recommended for 3200 & 3200B tailw

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Yes that is the 3 leaf on my s/n 293. Can't find a picture of the Two leaf spring but I have seen one at the local service center.
    Jon
    Thank You Jon-
    Just now looking at mine, and yes it's the Three Leaf (2013 SN #283). Not sure I see any problems after 100 hrs? Same rudder clearance as new and works fine? Thanks, and will wait to see a pic of the Two Leaf .
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Based on my discussion with people who have experience with all the available springs (including the Pawnee) the ABW is the stronger structure. Plus, it is made for the ABW tail wheel. Don't get too innovative here. Just keep it simple, less is more. Mike

Watch how much flexing takes place with this Pawnee spring during taxi on this relatively smooth gravel bar.

(have a little patience after the second landing. I was running the camera with my iPhone and dropped it. I'm too poor of an editor with the GoPro to cut it out.). You can also hear the AOSS working. It is the squeaky plastic sound.

Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Dan,

Is that Pawnee spring a four leaf spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Dan,

Is that Pawnee spring a four leaf spring?
    No, it is a 3-leaf. The Pawnee is wider than the originals too at 1.75".

That was a truly enlightening video. It is amazing how much deflection occurs in the tail wheel structure. Thanks for posting.

On a separate topic, why is the tail wheel steering system removed?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    That was a truly enlightening video. It is amazing how much deflection occurs in the tail wheel structure. Thanks for posting.

On a separate topic, why is the tail wheel steering system removed?

Mike
    Hi Mike,

The free-castering tail wheel has two benefits. As you can see in the video it allows the tail wheel to freely pivot when it hits a bigger rock or hole. This is easier on the airframe, especially the tail section. I run about 12 pounds in the baby Bushwheel. With bigger rocks and bumps it shines more.

The other benefit is a very free-feeling rudder in the air.

I like it but it isn't for everyone. Ground handling is different, as I'm reminded of when I go to skis in the winter and use chains and springs again on the smaller 3200 tail wheel. Steering is mostly with brakes. Landings are almost always wheel landings for me except on skis. Taxi work in a cross wind can be slow because you're riding one brake.

The advantages are all off-airport. If I were confined to paved runways or mowed grass strips for most of my flying I wouldn't do it.

The reason I used the GoPro for this initially was to see when I was spraying rocks towards my tail feathers. I poked about a half dozen holes in my horizontal stabs on the gravel bars.

IMG_0374.jpg

All fun.

IMG_1074.jpg

This one didn't make a hole but it was loud enough I heard it with a noise cancelling headset on.

IMG_0316.jpg

There is a fist-sized hole under this. Hitting the rib kept it from going all the way through. There's a price for this kind of fun.
    Last edited by Dan L; 02-05-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Dan,

Thanks for the insight!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Thank You Jon-
    Just now looking at mine, and yes it's the Three Leaf (2013 SN #283). Not sure I see any problems after 100 hrs? Same rudder clearance as new and works fine? Thanks, and will wait to see a pic of the Two Leaf .
    Steve

Got the new 2-leaf PA-18 spring installed. As you wanted here are a couple pictures. It does eliminate that aluminum spacer and so far in a couple flights, I haven't seen the shimmy I would get in the rough part of our runway. It also sits about 1.5-2 inches higher on the tail (as measured to the bottom of the rudder).

Jon #293
    IMG_9705.jpgIMG_9703.jpgIMG_9704.jpg