Thread: What do I need to paint my Carbon Cub?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What do I need to paint my Carbon Cub?

Updated 4/24/15

New recommendations..

I have been asked this question before on another cub forum and have gotten several PM's about it. I know that when I tackled my first cub project this is the one thing I worried most about. I decided to start a new thread so it wouldn't get buried in the middle of another and I think it will be helpful for new guys that are considering building. I would also like to add that I am not an expert. I have covered three airplanes and have gotten good results but I would like other builders to chime in with their experience as well.

This was the question that was asked. "Can you post a basic list of tools required for painting? Compressor type/capacity? Paint gun? What would you expect to spend for this equipment and where would you buy it? Would it be easier for someone without all the painting equipment, experience and place to paint have a shop do it? What might that cost?Would the spray of first coat of polybrush give enough "on the job training" with the paint gun to allow a novice to do justice to the top coat? I have some paint spray experience with oil based paint on cabinetry. That's it."

Let me start out by saying that YES you can paint your own airplane! I would also add that there is a LOT of painting involved other than the top coat on the fuselage, wings and tail feathers so it would be crazy expensive to have someone else do all the spraying. You will pick it up in no time!

There are two different ways you can go.

First is Compressed air which involves compressor (size depends on the gun you are using and will most likely be a 220v), inline moisture and oil traps, hoses and a gravity feed HVLP spray gun. The compressed guns are generally more complicated and finicky to operate. Cost for this quality set up if you have to buy the compressor is going to be about $1600-2500. I use a $600 Anest Iwata and I love it but it took a little getting use to. It is amazing at how low of pressure it will spray at! You will also need a fresh air breathing system if you are going to spray any of the shiny (polyurethane) paints. That will add another $400-600.
    http://axispro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4

Second is a High-Volume, Low Pressure System. This is a turbine based system that is self contained. It compresses the air with a small turbine motor and in the process it heats the air which eliminates the moisture from the lines and there is no oil to deal with. It is the easiest of the two systems to use and it comes in one box, ready to spray. I recommend the Axis Citation 4 stage system with a built in full air mask and gravity feed gun which provides better paint atomization. This complete system will cost you $1600.
    http://axispro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=53 This system is great, the only area it slightly lacks in is spraying the thicker polyurethane paints. This can be dealt with, it just take a little more trial and error, I mean reducer!!

So the question is which one is better? After using both systems I would have to say that the compressor based system is better. It will atomize the paint better and you will get a better finish. It is hands down better if you are going to use polyurethane paints. The down side is that this system is more expensive and takes a little more practice before use.

I still have my Citation sprayer and I do still use it. It is a very capable, simple set up and it will give you great results if you spend the time to learn how to spray with it. The biggest problem I hear is that the paint is always orange peeled and it just won't lay down flat. This problem can be solved by adding more reducer. In some cases it can be twice the reducer called for. The bottom line is that whatever system you use, you just have to take the time to learn it and practice before you start spraying your airplane.

We can talk about your home made paint booth next!!

P.S. The picture below is the first cub I did, using the Citation sprayer with polyurethane top coat and I didn't have any prior experience!!

MR

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cubrath; 04-24-2015 at 07:19 PM.