Thread: Gross Weight

Default Gross Weight

I have been trying for 2 months to get the FAA to answer my question, which is a joke. At any rate, I will be finishing my EX-2 pretty soon and if make the gross weight 1320 can someone tell me what I have to do to change it to 1865? I asked Mitch and he did not know. I know if you do 1865 you can not drop the weight but I am pretty sure you can pick 1320 and then move to 1865, just would like to know the process. Does the FAA have to be involved? Does it put you back in phase 1 flight testing? Seems like the people that make the rules should know them but that is not the world we live in.

Thanks for the help..

Jason

I figure Jim

Default Re: Gross Weight

Its pretty simple throw away the old weight and balance and make a new one for 1865 and you are done, I have done this on 2 planes.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Its pretty simple throw away the old weight and balance and make a new one for 1865 and you are done, I have done this on 2 planes.
    EV

OK,

That sounds simple enough. So really no entry in the aircraft logbook. When the dar comes out do I even tell him I am going to use 1320? I do not remember putting gross weight on any registration but it has been a while.

Thanks...

One thing to remember is on form 8130-6 in box II check #4 Experimental and then go to the right and check box #2 Amateur Built do not check any other boxes in that section. There is a box near the top that says light sport box # 9 DO NOT check that box if you have any questions Call 256-310-3806 or evroosevelt@hughes.net.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    One thing to remember is on form 8130-6 in box II check #4 Experimental and then go to the right and check box #2 Amateur Built do not check any other boxes in that section. There is a box near the top that says light sport box # 9 DO NOT check that box if you have any questions Call 256-310-3806 or evroosevelt@hughes.net.
    EV
    EV, the DAR didn't even look at my weight and balance!

Richard

I moved my Fx up to 1865 when I sold it. I was told it was a log book entry,redo W/B ,amend POH as needed and had to fly 5hrs in phase 1. Which I did.
    I also installed a set of Aerocets on it , I was also told it needed to go back to phase one for that also. Which I did.
    The new owner called the FSDO thought he should have them come out and clarify,so 2 inspectors came out and looked at plane and log books. (oh boy)
    Then I was asked to conference call with them(yikes), they were very nice told me I needed a log book entry also showing flight test was completed and I didn't need the Phase1 for the floats because CCI already tested them on the Carbon Cub.
    For what that's worth
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    I moved my Fx up to 1865 when I sold it. I was told it was a log book entry,redo W/B ,amend POH as needed and had to fly 5hrs in phase 1. Which I did.
    I also installed a set of Aerocets on it , I was also told it needed to go back to phase one for that also. Which I did.
    The new owner called the FSDO thought he should have them come out and clarify,so 2 inspectors came out and looked at plane and log books. (oh boy)
    Then I was asked to conference call with them(yikes), they were very nice told me I needed a log book entry also showing flight test was completed and I didn't need the Phase1 for the floats because CCI already tested them on the Carbon Cub.
    For what that's worth
    Chuck
    "oh boy and yikes" coming from a guy who lands his CC on the backs of alligators, what's up with that?

Chuck,

When you say "I was told" was that from the FAA? As far as I can tell the only thing the FAA has that has your gross weight on it is the weight and balance you give to them when they inspect the plane. I would assume that if one were to change their gross weight on their paperwork they would want the one the FAA has on file to be changed also. Sounds like this is what you did. Thanks for another data point of information.

Jason

Jason
    That came from a couple different sources factory personnel and service center. Service center contacted FSDO ,so there was questions on what was right ,which is why the new owner ask for the clarification. So what I got out of it is what we did was correct for Gross Weight increase. I hadn't put a log entry that I completed pahse 1 which is why they wanted to talk to me. They said if there were any other issues they would contact me. I was just sharing my experience.
    I'm no expert but this seems to make them happy down here anyway.
    Chuck
    Last edited by Springloaded; 02-24-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    "oh boy and yikes" coming from a guy who lands his CC on the backs of alligators, what's up with that?
    We get 2 gator tags a year down here (🐊 fear us) Just big lizards.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com