Thread: Carbon Cub Basics: Landing

Default Carbon Cub Basics: Landing

Cubcrafters put out a couple videos some time ago that are quite helpful.

Here's the link to Carbon Cub Basics: Landings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YdK_XdSEn0

I transcribed the narrative from this video for anyone that may find it helpful.

Landing Method #1 – 3 point landing

Mid field, get the power coming back, back pressure on the stick as you bring the throttle back and let the airspeed decay
    As you come through 80 down to about 70 bring the first notch of flap in
    Now we’re turning base, we’ve got our speed down to around 65 and let’s bring the second notch of flaps in.
    Now we’re about to turn final and slow down to an approach speed of 45 to 50 and bring in full flaps, 3 notches
    Now we’re on short final, airspeed stabilized at 45 mph
    Round out just over the runway, pause for just a second, and start increasing the back pressure to get a 3-point landing

Landing Method #2 – Wheel Landing

At midfield, start pulling the power back
    Increase back pressure as you’re decreasing the power
    When we get to about 70, bring one notch of flaps in and that will bring the nose back up
    Turn base at about 65 mph and the second notch of flaps comes in
    We’ve got the airport made
    Turn on final, at about 50 mph
    Bring in full flaps, 3 notches
    For this wheel landing, let’s fly 50 mph all the way down final
    Round out just a couple feet over the runway
    Let the airplane sink just a little bit at level attitude
    And your wheels will roll right on the ground
    Keep your feet on the rudders, hold the tail up and run it down the runway

Great videos Randy.
    Thanks

Paul
    CCEX #47

Default Re: Carbon Cub Basics: Landing

The third technique i use is one point. I use this for all landings except were the surface has large rocks that could damage my tail wheel or high crosswind conditions. Calm wind condition air speeds. Entry leg 60-70 MPH put in 1 notch flap. Slow to 50-60 MPH. Reduce power to 1,500 RPM. At IP put in 3 notches of flap and trim to 42 MPH (1.3 VSO). After final turn decellerate to 37 MPH (1.2 VSO). Maintain 37 MPH as long as possible until final deceleration is appropriate. Decrease power to idle and reduce speed while increasing pitch into flair. Stall warning will sound and digital airspeed will stop indicating. Analogue speed will indicate about 20 MPH and GPS about 33 knts but you are not managing speed by instruments. As descent is arrested in flair add power SMOOOTHLY while pitching to a nose high/tail low attitude. Drag as little as possible. Use power and pitch to achieve highest angle of attack with no speed or altitude gain. Horizon is only visible out the side-no forward visibility. Touch tail wheel approximately 10 feet prior to desired main gear touch down point and pull power. There will be a bounce (I have 26" tires but I think even with 31" the high pitch will allow the tail to touch first). During the bounce transition to brakes and dump flaps.

The flair and high pitch touch down require lots of practice flying in ground effect. Don't try this until you have a couple hours with main gear 1-2 feet AGL in power induced high pitch attitude. Initially touching mains and tail wheel happen frequently. Eventually, just touching the tail wheel is the objective. Smooth power adjustment is critical. Finally, this is all done at minimum controllable airspeed so aileron effectiveness is minimal and roll must be rudder influenced. This is best practiced in a large field or a lightly used airport. Preferably in the grass and initially calm wind. Do not bend anything. Mike