Thread: FAA Additional Pilot Program

Default FAA Additional Pilot Program

Many of you have probably heard about the Additional Pilot Program that came into effect last fall. In my opinion the development and introduction of this program, is one of the best ways the FAA has ever used our tax dollars.

Here's a link to this program as explained in AC 90-116
    http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m.../AC_90-116.pdf

Among many other things, two statistics that prompted the FAA to finally allow a builder to have someone else in the cockpit with him or her...someone with far more experience in type and test flights...are as follows:

"The first flight encompasses nearly one-fifth of all Phase I accidents. Furthermore, 65 percent of all
    Phase I accidents occurred within the first 8 hours of testing."

I would encourage all new builders particularly those who have little or no time in the type that you're building to read this program and seriously consider incorporating it into your Flight test plan.

Default Re: FAA Additional Pilot Program

Paul,

Are you going to use it? I read through the program and it just doesn't seem practical for something like the carbon cub. I could see the value for something like a lancair but it seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through for something like a CC.

MR

Friend of mine took advantage of that new rule on the first flight of his Kit Fox just a few weeks ago. His comment was that having a second pilot on board freed him up to check function of panel which would have been hard if solo. Helped reduce the anxiety level as well.

Seems like a good idea to me

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Paul,

Are you going to use it? I read through the program and it just doesn't seem practical for something like the carbon cub. I could see the value for something like a lancair but it seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through for something like a CC.

MR
    Mike, yes, I'm using it.
    I have two CFI's named on my policy both with a bunch of carbon cub time. The initial test flights have been just as Chuck described...where I'm handing control over whenever needed to take a good look at the engine and record performance.

Really the only "hoops" are a couple score sheets that I've filled out for each additional "Qualified Pilot" and they both easily pass the minimum score with their time in type.

I'm transitioning from a Cirrus with very little tail wheel time so I feel it's absolutely the best and safest route to go, to have a second pilot on board.

The other thing I've observed is the old Super cubs that I've flown DO NOT fly exactly like my CCEX so I'm happy for the help from guys that have a gazillion hours in several types of tail draggers.

Bottom line for me as well, is the enjoyment factor. With someone on board sharing the workload I have a lot more time just to look around at my plane with an ear to ear grin.

In my opinion, I would say anyone with low TW time should take advantage of this program.

That's good to know! When I first read through the circular I didn't think it would be worth it. I'm going to take another look. If its that easy why not have a second set of eyes and hands.

MR

I read the AC again and the problem I am going to have is finding a QP (qualified pilot) that has previous Phase 1 testing experience. Unless they have that or test pilot school they will not be able to qualify if I'm reading the matrix correctly.

MR

I read the AC again and the problem I am going to have is finding a QP (qualified pilot) that has previous Phase 1 testing experience. Unless they have that or test pilot school they will not be able to qualify if I'm reading the matrix correctly.

MR
    Neither the test pilot school or the Phase 1 testing experience (or absence of those two qualification) are disqualifiers. The minimum score in the Experience Scoring Matrix is 90 and you can easily make that up with CFI's who have extensive time in some or all of the following.....Same category and class, Model family, Exact same model and more than 20 makes/models.

For example if you have a CFI with 600 hours in Category and class, 150 in model family, any time at all in Carbon Cubs, PIC in more than 20 makes or models, and he's a CFI, that person would score 105...easily achieving the minimum score of 90.

Paul,

I have to disagree with you. If you look at figure 8 in the AC, if you do not have phase 1 test experience you must subtract (-75) points from the total. The only way you can qualify is if you have that phase 1 experience or test pilot school with extensive time. No other amout of time will add up to the 90 points. Your example would not qualify if you subtract the 75 points for no phase 1 time. If I'm reading that wrong please correct me.

MR
    Last edited by Cubrath; 01-20-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Paul,

I have to disagree with you. If you look at figure 8 in the AC, if you do not have phase 1 test experience you must subtract (-75) points from the total. The only way you can qualify is if you have that phase 1 experience or test pilot school with extensive time. No other amout of time will add up to the 90 points. Your example would not qualify if you subtract the 75 points for no phase 1 time. If I'm reading that wrong please correct me.

MR
    No, you're reading it right. I assumed you had a CFI with phase one experience (not necessarily the maiden flight) and what I meant to say was the maiden flight experience or the test pilot school are not disqualifiers. You're right about at least needing to have someone who has flown in an experimental during the phase 1 testing or 40 hour fly off.
    Fortunately I have a couple people in my area with all the right qualifications.

It is a good program. If I can find someone to qualify I will take advantage of it. Thanks for posting it Paul, I probably wouldn't have taken a second look if you hadn't!

MR