Thread: North East fun

Default Re: North East fun

After reading all the posts here and on the Super Cub forum about experiences with and opinions on penetration skis, the decision to purchase Datum skis for my S2-XP makes the most sense and perhaps the safest choice. Not to mention with the favorable exchange rate I can purchase a second set of wheels to make the transition all the easier. No expectations of flying with them this season just being ready early for next.

Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    I agree. I had a set of Trick Air skis on my Legend Cub and the drag of the tire was a BIG problem (nearly spent the night) in light deep snow. The Summits look like a better fit around the tire, but the Datums look like a better answer for mountain flying. In the mountains you are very much on your own and you need to know the skis will do their job.

I agree. I had a set of Trick Air skis on my Legend Cub and the drag of the tire was a BIG problem (nearly spent the night) in light deep snow. The Summits look like a better fit around the tire, but the Datums look like a better answer for mountain flying. In the mountains you are very much on your own and you need to know the skis will do their job.
    I think the best way to determine how well a ski works on a Cub is to ask those guys using them. Not all wheel skis are created equal, some work better than others simply by design, such as how much ski is behind the tire creating drag and by how much tire is hanging out the bottom creating drag.

The larger the ski, the more floatation in deep snow. A smaller ski will sink deeper into the snow creating a lot of extra drag, regardless of whether it is a wheel ski, retract or straight. Comparing skis of the same bottom surface area, the short wide ski pushes more snow creating more drag but turns better and the narrower longer ski does the opposite. Not to mention the overall flying weight of the comparable skis. A lot of variables.

Simply ask the operators of a Carbon Cub or any Cub that are equipped with the Summits or the Datums or the Trick Air or the etc, what their experience is. They're not guessing, they actually know!!

I have the carbon cub on summits. Very pleased. Excellent float, wheel penetration has little drag and can do a 180 in soft snow with a decent turning radius. By way of reference have had a citabria on straight skiis, wheel penetration on avid flyer, it was terrible, and a 185 on 4000 hydraulic ski which I still fly but mostly on floats. The CC is by far the best aircraft on the summit ski.

Quote Originally Posted by flybymike View Post

Simply ask the operators of a Carbon Cub or any Cub that are equipped with the Summits or the Datums or the Trick Air or the etc, what their experience is. They're not guessing, they actually know!!
    I gather since you quote me, then infer guessing, I should qualify myself. I flew skis for many years in Alaska on Cessna 180s and a Legend Cub with 120 horse Jabiru engine. I looked closely at the Summit's when I was at Cubcrafters having my X-mod 120 horse Sportscub worked on to comply with a SB. The Summit is a much closer fit than the Trick Air skis. There is no comparison between a wheel penetration ski and a retract ski. (I had Fluidyne 3200 on the Cessna) In wet snow and very light the drag is substantial. I do not have the 180 horse CC and I believe it would perform better due to the added power. If that disqualifies me from commenting so be it.

I gather since you quote me, then infer guessing, I should qualify myself. I flew skis for many years in Alaska on Cessna 180s and a Legend Cub with 120 horse Jabiru engine. I looked closely at the Summit's when I was at Cubcrafters having my X-mod 120 horse Sportscub worked on to comply with a SB. The Summit is a much closer fit than the Trick Air skis. There is no comparison between a wheel penetration ski and a retract ski. (I had Fluidyne 3200 on the Cessna) In wet snow and very light the drag is substantial. I do not have the 180 horse CC and I believe it would perform better due to the added power. If that disqualifies me from commenting so be it.
    Sorry, I can see how it looks that way but I was certainly not inferring that you were guessing. Great shot, where was this photo taken?

No problem, Mike.
    To finish the story of the Legend Cub and Trick Air skis on the Davidson glacier in Haines, AK. (Where the Cessna pictures are taken) I landed late on a Spring day at roughly 4000 feet elevation. The snow had softened quite a bit since my last trip up there and it was like a slurpy. I tried three times to taxi on step and the snow kept packing on the wheels. I used my snow shoes and tramped a ramp of about 100 feet for the mains and after an hour or so, I decided to give it one more try. My only other option was to wait until first light the next day and let the snow crust over. The good news is the ramp I made worked and I was able to have enough speed to float on top and make my way home. I HIGHLY recommend if you use skis in remote areas that you carry a sleeping bag, snow shoes and some food and a way to heat water. Here are a few more shots. I don't have any of the Legend as I lost my enthusiasm for landing at high elevations and stayed on lakes after that.

Finally on Summit skis today with my Carbon Cub demonstrator. Flying out of ORA in Hudson Valley we were seeing lower 40's so snow was getting spongy and a little bit of grip. Landed out on Tivoli Bay on the Hudson and it was pretty solid with just a few inches of windblown snow on top of the ice. Summit's work great for me, but full disclosure I'm a dealer and I'm selling them. Its a nice wide ski with lots of float. Landed over at Kingston for gas and there was just enough clearance to keep them from dragging on slightly uneven tarmac. I'm running the new Desser 8:50 tire.

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Clay,
    Would you please take a couple of close up pictures of the area where the ski attaches to the gear. Also curious as to why you chose springs instead of bungees.

Thanks,
    40m

Default North East fun

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph206 View Post
    Boy Glenn we sure do have FUN flying around in the COLD!!!!!
    Wish we had more Flying partners up this way!!!!!
    Anybody out there!!!!!!!!!

Carbon Cub Joe.

I need more flying buddies down here that are not scared of getting in short!!!

Get down to Florida look us up. It hard to find people that want to play we have a few down here. I have found anything under 500' or any kinda obstacles most people will shy a way pretty quick. No snow down here just swamps ,airboat trails and flat woods.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Springloaded; 03-10-2015 at 03:34 AM.