Thread: North East fun

Default Re: North East fun

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Get down to Florida look us up. It hard to find people that want to play we have a few down here. I have found anything under 500' or any kinda obstacles most people will shy a way pretty quick. No snow down here just swamps ,airboat trails and flat woods.
    Chuck

Nice!!!

Hey Chuck, what's all that green stuff down there? Been white here since Thanksgiving. Hope to head down for SnF are you going to be around?

40m

Get down to Florida look us up. It hard to find people that want to play we have a few down here. I have found anything under 500' or any kinda obstacles most people will shy a way pretty quick. No snow down here just swamps ,airboat trails and flat woods.
    Chuck

Glenn I'll be around let me know when your going. I usually go Wed. Its not as busy then.
    Joe if you ever get down this way give me a shout I can see you like to have fun too!
    Chuck

Glenn I'll be around let me know when your going. I usually go Wed. Its not as busy then.
    Joe if you ever get down this way give me a shout I can see you like to have fun too!
    Chuck

Ok Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Clay,
    Would you please take a couple of close up pictures of the area where the ski attaches to the gear. Also curious as to why you chose springs instead of bungees.
    I'm down in Georgia for the week. Happy to get you more pics when I get back home. The springs were supplied with the skis. I found it compelling that the whole shebang from Summit (both skis with cables and springs and hardware but minus the wheels/tires) came in one big box that I could easily pick up by myself to load into the back of my truck. I didn't think to step up on a scale, but it was light to say the least.

IMG_1871.jpg

Thanks Clay, have spoken to Mike at Summit and have all I need. Others might be interested in how simple this installation is.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    I'm down in Georgia for the week. Happy to get you more pics when I get back home. The springs were supplied with the skis. I found it compelling that the whole shebang from Summit (both skis with cables and springs and hardware but minus the wheels/tires) came in one big box that I could easily pick up by myself to load into the back of my truck. I didn't think to step up on a scale, but it was light to say the least.

IMG_1871.jpg

If considering skis for a factory Carbon Cub, take this into consideration: In Clay's perfect world I would have a three inch extended gear with the heavy duty milled axle. This is the gear that comes with the E-AB Carbon Cub Kit. It is also the gear that is used on Top Cub. The extension would help keep prop tips out of the deeper pow, and the milled axle I believe would withstand any twisting force much better if you got into a pinch. There is no known instance of a Carbon Cub gear failing on skis so I could be all wet, but it stands to reason. Making the mod would require E-LSA category operation. The gear could be bought through the CC store.

In the wet stuff I notice a definite drag at the skis that wants to raise the tail at times. A 3x3 gear would mitigate this some, but with the tradeoff that you are adding arm length along with the extra weight at the tail, thus increasing any twisting force at the main gear. Its all a compromise.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 03-10-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph206 View Post
    Ok Thanks!!!
    When are we going?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    If considering skis for a factory Carbon Cub, take this into consideration: In Clay's perfect world I would have a three inch extended gear with the heavy duty milled axle. This is the gear that comes with the E-AB Carbon Cub Kit. It is also the gear that is used on Top Cub. The extension would help keep prop tips out of the deeper pow, and the milled axle I believe would withstand any twisting force much better if you got into a pinch. There is no knownar instance of a Carbon Cub gear failing on skis so I could be all wet, but it stands to reason. Making the mod would require E-LSA category operation. The gear could be bought through the CC store.

In the wet stuff I notice a definite drag at the skis that wants to raise the tail at times. A 3x3 gear would mitigate this some, but with the tradeoff that you are adding arm length along with the extra weight at the tail, thus increasing any twisting force at the main gear. Its all a compromise.
    That's what I have; Dodge 3" gear with 1.5" axles. I have Dodge gear because I bought the gear through Landes when I bought the skis and first put them on the PA18 I had at the time. When I built the CC EX I shifted them over to the EX and am very pleased with their performance. I'll have to admit though I don't know what a "milled axle" is.

image.jpg

New Years Day 2015 - the last good day of ski flying I had this year. It is still winter and the grass is already green.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Rather than welding the lugs on to the inboard end of the axle (that bolt to the cabane "vee"), CC mills an axle out of solid steel that then has the lugs and axle present as one piece. This is the axle used on the kit and on the Top Cub. No welding up the fitting on the inboard side. Its much beefier and more solid IMHO.

tc_e_22 (Large).jpg
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 03-10-2015 at 06:19 PM.