Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose Landing Gear Option 3X3

Default Help Me Choose Landing Gear Option 3X3 or Not

I got some great feed back on my request for opinions on seat options. I just sold CC #275 and I'm getting #376 in early May. Unless I change my mind, not 100% sure I even can at this point, I'm getting AOSS with 26 Tundra Tires but did not opt for 3X3 extended gear. I do enjoy landing at some tight off airport spots but nothing the standard gear can't handle with ease. I've heard the CONS of the 3X3 landing gear. Please share the Pro's.

Thanks,

David Morris
    Last edited by davidmorris; 01-16-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Default Re: Help Me Choose Landing Gear Option 3X3

David,

I have the 3x3 gear on the kit I am building. I haven't flown it yet but I think the pros are:

1) Better ground clearance and slightly higher AOA when you start your takeoff roll. Should be able to brake harder with the gear moved forward.

2). Better resale value

3). I think it looks better. The airplane sits a little higher and a cub with 33 sitting next to a standard cub just looks bigger IMO.

MR

+1 on the braking. 3x3 gives noticeably more weight on the tail and one can brake harder before the tail starts to come up.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

+2 on braking. I had 26" on sn123 and ordered my new one with 29", ASOS, and 3x3. Moving the gear forward also makes ground looping more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    +1 on the braking. 3x3 gives noticeably more weight on the tail and one can brake harder before the tail starts to come up.
    Pete,

Does the 3X3 lengthen the takeoff roll at all?

David

I don't have any numbers to give you but it should shorten the t/o roll. You are sitting at a higher AOA with all 3 wheels on the ground.

You can also touch down at a lower speed. When the plane is light it is possible to fly at a high enough angle of attach that the tailwheel is lower than the main gear. With 3x3 gear you can "lower" the mains relative to the tailwheel.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete it would be interesting to see exactly how much prop clearance you gain.Why don't you measure 1 w and 1 w/o and let us know?
    Just last week we were measuring mine against my buddy's super cub. We both have 31s I have 3x3 he has stock gear I have a baby bush wheel he doesn't so not real accurate comparison, from ground to bottom of cabane vee I was only 1" higher to middle of spinner was about the same. I was (if I remember ) 5" wider which I think would be good for stability. I like the braking advantage when you really get on them, recently landed on a pretty rough field and I think with out it I would have had trouble keeping it off the nose. I was told the tail was hard to pick up with the 3x3. It is heavier but I haven't found that to be a problem even with somebody in the back. My S2 had stock gear and you had to be really careful about getting hard on the brakes when you were light. I think it makes the tires look smaller so it probably looks cooler with stock gear.
    I would order 3x3 ,for me being able to get on the brakes in a tight spot is nice.
    Chuck
    Last edited by Springloaded; 01-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I decided to go with the 3X3 gear option.

David Morris

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Hey y'all: I just came across this thread. Now, I'm interested...what are the CONS of the 3x3 landing gear? I got it, I love it, and...well, I'm having difficulty figuring out any negatives.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Hey y'all: I just came across this thread. Now, I'm interested...what are the CONS of the 3x3 landing gear? I got it, I love it, and...well, I'm having difficulty figuring out any negatives.

Jim
    Since I'm the one that said I've heard the CONS I'll respond. The only CONS I could think of or have heard mentioned was maybe it's a little tail heavy and the added 3 inches makes it more difficult to get in/out of. I guess if your old like Chip Allen this could possibly be a problem. I can say that because I had a piece of his last birthday cake and I've bought two brand new Carbon Cubs from him. Seriously, Chip's a great guy and I hope he has a good sense of humor because he could probably squash me like a bug!

Thanks to the forum and hearing first hand from those who have the 3X3 extended gear option I've added 3X3 to my new CC. Now I'm not sure if there are any more unchecked boxes on my order form.

David Morris
    #376 Coming Soon