Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Choose Landing Gear Option 3X3

Default Re: Help Me Choose Landing Gear Option 3X3

For those that are weight conscious, the 3x3 gear weights more than the standard gear.

Paul K.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

LOL...I bought my cub from Chip too...and he is an old dude. But he gets in and out better than I can. Since I bought it with the 3x3, I can't tell ya if it is easier or harder to get in. But I love the security of being able (within reason) to stomp on the brakes. I did think that the tailwheel is pretty heavy, so that is a reasonable comment. Having said that...it makes absolutely no operational difference. Well...when I did my transition, it was with a guy who wasn't really light...and he was insistant that I ALWAYS do full stall landings...and I would get some tailwheel shimmy at speed. That is no longer an issue as I pretty much always do wheelies...tail low wheelies, but wheelies. So, the 3x3 has no negatives for me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    LOL...I bought my cub from Chip too...and he is an old dude. But he gets in and out better than I can. Since I bought it with the 3x3, I can't tell ya if it is easier or harder to get in. But I love the security of being able (within reason) to stomp on the brakes. I did think that the tailwheel is pretty heavy, so that is a reasonable comment. Having said that...it makes absolutely no operational difference. Well...when I did my transition, it was with a guy who wasn't really light...and he was insistant that I ALWAYS do full stall landings...and I would get some tailwheel shimmy at speed. That is no longer an issue as I pretty much always do wheelies...tail low wheelies, but wheelies. So, the 3x3 has no negatives for me.

Jim
    I've got the 3x3 with 29" Tundra and baby bushwheel. When I finished 18RP EX (March 2014) my third landing was in a very short field with trees at the end. I came in too fast at about 60 mph and panicked when I saw the trees coming fast. Naturally I hit the brakes pretty hard. Seemed to me that the nose went over more than I wanted but never hit the prop. Fortunately I pulled back on the stick in time and made a complete stop with plenty of room to spare. I don't know what would have happened if I had been using a standard gear. I might add that at that time I only had about 12hrs taildragger time in a J3 and Sport Cub with an instructor. I now come into that same field at about 42 mph and have never experienced this again. After about a 100 hrs. the landings seem really easy. So from a rookies view I like it. BTW, I am as old or older than Chip and getting in and out is a piece a cake.

Richard Phillips

And just how did my age become the topic of conversation in this thread??

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Chip: Yer age got involved because a couple of your customers were involved and we are...err...in awe of your experience...yeah, that's the ticket! And you know we love ya!

Richard: Yeah, I did one landing at Fairhope where I was showing off for a bunch of Beech guys and I hit the brakes very hard...while being realllllllly lazy with the stick...kind of forward of neutral...and the tail did come up. Way not even close to the prop hitting though, and when I pulled the stick back the tail came down with a bang. Not something I have ever done again. Well, hard brakes, yes, but always with the stick back and never with an issue.

Jim

Too technical for me...Here are two CC. The grey/yellow with 3X3, and the Standard Cub yellow with standard gear. Both with 26' tires. The yellow Cub had a 6'2" fat boy (me) in it, and the grey Cub a slim little fart and a better pilot. Both half tanks of gas. Grey/yellow Cub had Baby Busch wheel and Yellow Cub has Scott 3200.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Y; 01-23-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Choose Landing Gear Option 3X3

I do love this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I don't have any numbers to give you but it should shorten the t/o roll. You are sitting at a higher AOA with all 3 wheels on the ground.

You can also touch down at a lower speed. When the plane is light it is possible to fly at a high enough angle of attach that the tailwheel is lower than the main gear. With 3x3 gear you can "lower" the mains relative to the tailwheel.
    I've just started flying my CCEX (maiden flight a week ago) and I am super impressed with my 3x3 and even moreso with the AOSS. These comments by Pete are two of the biggest advantages that I actually hadn't even given any thought. And yes the 3x3 just looks better even with just 8.50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post

Too technical for me...Here are two CC. The grey/yellow with 3X3, and the Standard Cub yellow with standard gear. Both with 26' tires. The yellow Cub had a 6'2" fat boy (me) in it, and the grey Cub a slim little fart and a better pilot. Both half tanks of gas. Grey/yellow Cub had Baby Busch wheel and Yellow Cub has Scott 3200.

Steve
    Great video Damien and Steve. Looking forward to flying with you guys sometime after my flyoff.