Thread: Operating cost per hour

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Operating cost per hour

I keep track of my airplane expenses annually in an Excel file. I finished up the 2014 report last week and looked at the cost per hour. I have about 350 hours on my EX now, with the O-340, and have been flying it since 2011. The average cost per hour over that four years and 350 hours is $40.50 per hour.

Fuel of course is the biggest expense and with 100LL prices going down that cost should go down too. I do my own Condition Inspections so I'm not paying anyone for that time. I carry Liability only insurance. I do have a hangar but am not factoring that cost into my operating expenses. I have another plane and put my hangar costs all on it.

The non-fuel expenses over those years are 25 hour oil changes, two static/pitot checks by an avionics shop, intercom, radio and transponder repairs by the same avionics shop, CC's oil sump intake kit, one set of iridium spark plugs, two dynamic prop balances (changed props but new prop not included in expenses), CC's retrofit battery box/seat base kit, state registrations, compass replacement, and a couple of battery replacements (before going to the PC680).

So I offer this as information to others of what I'd consider typical and honest expenses in owning and operating this airplane and wonder if others might have numbers they've come up with?
    Last edited by Dan L; 01-15-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011