Thread: Operating cost per hour

Default Operating cost per hour

I keep track of my airplane expenses annually in an Excel file. I finished up the 2014 report last week and looked at the cost per hour. I have about 350 hours on my EX now, with the O-340, and have been flying it since 2011. The average cost per hour over that four years and 350 hours is $40.50 per hour.

Fuel of course is the biggest expense and with 100LL prices going down that cost should go down too. I do my own Condition Inspections so I'm not paying anyone for that time. I carry Liability only insurance. I do have a hangar but am not factoring that cost into my operating expenses. I have another plane and put my hangar costs all on it.

The non-fuel expenses over those years are 25 hour oil changes, two static/pitot checks by an avionics shop, intercom, radio and transponder repairs by the same avionics shop, CC's oil sump intake kit, one set of iridium spark plugs, two dynamic prop balances (changed props but new prop not included in expenses), CC's retrofit battery box/seat base kit, state registrations, compass replacement, and a couple of battery replacements (before going to the PC680).

So I offer this as information to others of what I'd consider typical and honest expenses in owning and operating this airplane and wonder if others might have numbers they've come up with?
    Last edited by Dan L; 01-15-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Operating cost per hour

Dan
    WOW SCARY $$$
    295 hrs in the last year x $40.50=$11,947.50.Thats is scary!! I don't think I want to keep track of all that, afraid it would take all the fun out of it. Good info! You made me go out and look at my fuel tank meter in the hanger I pumped 10,576Gal in 8 Yrs YIKES😰. My Wonderful wife keeps telling me I'm VERY EXPENSIVE!! I say to her (Very Nicely) I have know idea what what your talking about Honey and I'm gonna go for a quick ride before dinner😄
    Chuck

Figured my cost per hour for 2015. I flew 177 hours and the cost per hour was $36. Easy to do keeping monthly expenses up-to-date in Excel.

Maybe we are better off not keeping track of costs too closely. What I mean is as long as flying doesnt take away from your obligations to your loved ones, why not fly every chance you get? We certainly wont when we are dead. Seems curious that we keep such close track of how much flying costs per hour. When it comes to other activities such as vacations like fishing or traveling we seem to be much more forgiving. Just sayin.

I loved flying so I wanted to become an Airline Pilot. I still love flying, and now fly the Airliner so I can pay for my Carbon Cub and fly. Just installed the ADSB in/out Lynx 9000...... Only $8,000 Now, how are the tires doing...
    I'm afraid to ask how much it costs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott c View Post
    Maybe we are better off not keeping track of costs too closely. What I mean is as long as flying doesnt take away from your obligations to your loved ones, why not fly every chance you get? We certainly wont when we are dead. Seems curious that we keep such close track of how much flying costs per hour. When it comes to other activities such as vacations like fishing or traveling we seem to be much more forgiving. Just sayin.
    My thinking is that $36 and hour is tremendous. You can find a lot of planes that you could easily put the number 1 in front of $36 and not have near so much fun in.

image.jpg

Earlier today. Ryan Field near West Glacier Montana.

A friend offered my to fly his CC SS and asked me to give him the price I’m willing to pay. His SS is 3 years old with 160 hours. How would you calculate a fair price assuming I cover the fuel and oil I consume.