Thread: Tiedown outside

Default Tiedown outside

How hard is it on the fabric to keep a carbon cub tied down outside in Western Washington.

Default Re: Tiedown outside

I have a question: Why would you leave a $200,000 dollar carbon cub outside?

Fredq,

The fabric itself is pretty tough stuff. It can handle sitting outside for a number of years without structural damage. However, it is just like anything else parked outside in the Northwest, it (the entire airplane) will deteriorate 10 times faster than if it was sheltered. I had a airplane that I parked down in Portland for one summer because I didn't have a hangar and I could not believe how fast the airplane deteriorated in that three month time period.

That being said, I know there are a number of cub owners in Alaska where their cubs live outside. It is doable but not recommended.

MR

I lived in Alaska for twenty years and I would NOT leave my plane parked outside on the ramp for more than a few transit days. I have seen tricycle planes with their nose in the air from snow loads and birds that have pecked through the fabric of an older Cub parked in Haines. It can be done, but the question of why park a $200K plus plane for the elements to ravage is a good one. I know hangar space is tough in Seattle, but check other areas nearby.

Outside??? I worry about my hanger. If I could put mine in my living room I would!
    CC should be able to help, sounds like they have kept a couple on their ramp on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by fredq View Post
    How hard is it on the fabric to keep a carbon cub tied down outside in Western Washington.
    The plane will survive just fine, virtually all of our company aircraft live outside year round. The sun is the biggest factor in deterioration, but then again you live on the "wet side" where you have less of it than we do.

Urethane will survive much longer outside. The Poly Tone silver used our "Performance" paint scheme starts looking tired after about 3 years of living outside. But then again it's not that tough to mask off the urethane and re-shoot the Poly Tone. It is MEK-based and subsequent coats bond chemically when laid on top, so long as all the dirt and contaminants are removed.

Bottom line, you're trading paint and fabric life for the hangar expense, a tradeoff each owner must make.

There are certainly other benefits of having a hangar too numerous to list here, and I know there is a hangar shortage in the Puget Sound area also which may be the driving factor for you. And here's another idea for your: keep your plane in YKM. We've had several west side customers keep their planes over here in the dry sunny climate and just drive over on weekends when they want to fly.
    Randy Lervold