Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headset with bluetooth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Headset with bluetooth

Have a 2006 S 1. I have the Bose that came with my plane in 2006. Not sure which model. I'm happy with the noise level now but would like bluetooth. I see that the the zulu 2 is much less expensive now. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Michael D
    N606RJ

Default Re: Headset with bluetooth

I have the Zulu 1 headsets (with bluetooth and the single jack like a Bose) with hundreds of hours on them and really like them. Their support is awesome as well. Whenever I have needed a new mike muff or ear cups I just swing by their booth at a show and ask nicely and they give me a new set.

I have had the chance to try multiple kinds of headsets (various Bose, several Lightspeeds etc) in Carbon Cubs and still would buy the Zulus again.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I am using Bose A20 in my FX-3 and I'm not impressed by them. It's not that they are bad, it's that they have a bass response that is great for music but inappropriate for communications. Some aircraft microphones have a good bass response and they transmit all the low frequency engine noise. Similar low pitch background noise is picked up by some controller's microphones. This low frequency noise can make some communications almost unreadable.

The problem I have with the A20 may be partly caused by the GTR 200. It includes the intercom and is also designed to pass a music source to the headset. The GTR 200 could have been designed to provide different equalization for music and coms but it doesn't seem to have been.

If I continue to use the Bose in the FX-3 I'm going to have to find a way to cut the bass response.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

I prefer the LightSpeeds as well. Comfort is a big factor and they fit over my ears better than the Bose. Noise cancelling is about the same.

Their warranty support is fairly quick when I sent one of my sets back because of a broken wire in the cord. I also had an ear cup split after a year and a half but that was after I had loaned them out for a couple of weeks (not covered by the warranty). Otherwise no problems.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

I use the Zulu.2 and they are good. If you have Bose, look at the Lightspeed website, they do take trades on a couple models of Bose towards the Zulus.

Jon

Thanks for the advise!
    Michael D
    N606RJ

Another vote for Zulu 2. I find the Bluetooth is still difficult to use in phone conversation from the front seat. Great for music.

Please tell me which variant of the Bose A20 is more practical from batteries or from the aircraft electrical system?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_12 View Post
    Please tell me which variant of the Bose A20 is more practical from batteries or from the aircraft electrical system?
    You don't have to make that choice. Mine will operate either from internal batteries or from the electrical system. I also purchased the standard plug adapter so I can use the A20 in airplanes that do not have the 6 pin connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_12 View Post
    If you are only using it in one airplane that has LEMO jacks, the panel power type is very convenient.

If you use the dual GA plug version with batteries it is compatible with pretty much any airplane that has headset jacks, and they tend to filter electrical noise out that sometimes gets in through the LEMO jack panel power type.

For over a decade all CubCrafters aircraft have been equipped with both GA and dual GA jacks for both seats.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc