Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yakima to Kentucky Route

Default Yakima to Kentucky Route

I'll be taking delivery of my new Carbon Cub around early May. I'm much better at IFR flying/flight planning than I am VFR. I'll eventually study the sectionals and figure out my options but at first glance I wanted to get some opinions from others that may have flown this general route. I deleted a prospective route I looked at earlier. I'll be posting another one later.

David Morris
    Last edited by davidmorris; 01-03-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: Yakima to Kentucky Route

Anyone have any thoughts on this route?

Planning on the first 10 hours and oil change being done before leaving Yakima.

Yakima to KBOI Boise ID, over KBYI Burley ID, to KMLD Malad City ID, to KOGD Ogden UT, to KRWL Rawlins WY, to KSNY Sideny NE, to KEAR Kearney NE. Pretty much direct home to KSME Somerset, KY. after KEAR.

David Morris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidmorris; 01-03-2015 at 04:46 PM.

When do you pick up your plane David? Soon? ...or is it a later delivery into the Spring? Time of year can make a huge difference. Happy to talk on phone if needed...

Have you by chance read thru this thread yet?

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...lp-tips-advice
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 01-03-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Clay,

Thanks I'll read through it! It will be right around the first of May so I have some time.

David Morris

During the winter that route east of Salt lake can be pretty brutal, making it the polar opposite of fun. But in May I bet it will be gorgeous. Weather will dictate a lot in terms of direction to take, depending on the amount of time you have to make the trip.

On a separate, but potentially helpful note: My brother operates your local CubCrafters Service Center located in Danville (DVK). If you found yourself unable to retrieve your aircraft and just needed to get it home I would suggest him as a ferry pilot. He has an innumerable amount of experience.

David I went from YKM- KBKE- U10-KRKS- KRWL- KTOR- KHYS then some place in MO then direct home I don't think I got above 9000 ft. I did discover that I should look for a stop for overnight around 12:00pm as it gets windy after that. Talk to Clay he has done it a lot.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    David I went from YKM- KBKE- U10-KRKS- KRWL- KTOR- KHYS then some place in MO then direct home I don't think I got above 9000 ft. I did discover that I should look for a stop for overnight around 12:00pm as it gets windy after that. Talk to Clay he has done it a lot.
    EV
    Thanks for the information. My route and your route are very close to the same. Just different waypoints along the way. I had not of planned on stopping so early in the day due to winds but I guess I should plan for it. I did get the hardest jolt I've ever received in over 30 years of flying around Albuquerque on what seemed like a beautiful afternoon to fly. It was so hard I was bruised and I stopped to get the plane inspected. All was well and I made my way eastward through the night.

Live and learn!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    During the winter that route east of Salt lake can be pretty brutal, making it the polar opposite of fun. But in May I bet it will be gorgeous. Weather will dictate a lot in terms of direction to take, depending on the amount of time you have to make the trip.

On a separate, but potentially helpful note: My brother operates your local CubCrafters Service Center located in Danville (DVK). If you found yourself unable to retrieve your aircraft and just needed to get it home I would suggest him as a ferry pilot. He has an innumerable amount of experience.
    Clay,

I've been meaning to stop in and see your brother. He's only about 40 miles away. A great resource to have so close to home.

David

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

David,

I would agree with Clay that weather will play a huge factor on how you fly the trip this time of year. This past November and December I've flown both the Northern route and the southern route. Timing is everything and planning your fuel stops that you have an alternate one you can double back to is a WiSE idea. I was flying through an interstate pass trying to make Moab UT only to find a solid overcast all the way to the ground on the other side. Lucky for me I had enough gas to double back and go to Richfield. I believe your trip in May will allow you much nicer weather and if it were to be available I would choose the northern route either by Mullan Pass to Missoula or via Cour D Alene and then through the Clark Fork River which I love. The FBO at Bozeman MT was a great overnight stop at Yellowstone Jet Center. This last trip I overnighted in KBKE, KPVU, and KSAF and they were all excellent and accommodating. Good luck and you will love your new plane!image.jpg

May I will be returning over the Rockies from YKM to Winifred. If it works out I'll fly along with you. I have made the trip over the Rocks many times via Mullen Pass. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.