Thread: Second Annual Southwest Backcountry Olympics

Default Second Annual Southwest Backcountry Olympics

Calling all Backcountry Pilots in the Southwest/Arizona area!

Back by popular demand, we are pleased to announce that SunCountry Cubs and the Arizona Pilots Assocation, with support by CubCrafters Inc, will hold the second annual "Backcountry Olympics" on January 24, 2015!

This year's event will be a bit different than last year's at Flying A Ranch, so that we will be able to accomodate a much bigger group, as the popluarity of the event is growing. Not only will we be hosting our local pilots, but we have a contingent from Colorado who are looking to join in the fun! And of course anyone else who is visiting in the area is welcome to join in.

The event will be held this year at Superior Airport (E81), east of Phoenix. It will be a relatively informal "arrive as you can" schedule, to accomodate the pilots from near and far. We will also blend this event with a BBQ Lunch and "Awards Ceremony" with the rest of the AZ Pilots Association, who will be holding the monthly Grapevine Fly-In and Camping event that day, at the Grapevine strip, 25 miles East of Superior.

Here are the details, and if you have any questions, please feel free to call Rick at SunCountry Cubs, at 480-300-4402. We will be sending out a sign up sheet with event details via email, so if you dont get our monthly Newsletter then be sure to give me your email address, so I can add you to the list. (rick@flysuncountry.com)

Olympics are "open" for participants: Saturday January 24, 9am - 1pm

Arrival procedure: Per A/FD; Pilots should excercise caution for traffic and use normal seperation procedures

Communications: Please use the CTAF frequency of 122.95

Events: This year we will be measuring contestants on two events:

- Power on landing, closest to the marked Touchdown line
    - Power OFF landing, closest to the marked Touchdown line

Details: These will be outlined in the email I will send out with the sign up sheet, or can be found on AZPilots.org, or feel free to give me a call.

Post Event BBQ and Awards: We will meet at approximately 2pm at the Grapevine strip, 25 miles east of E81, for a post event BBQ hosted by SunCountry Cubs, AZ Pilots Association, and CubCrafters. Come and join us, and find out the results of the events! ALL PARTICIPANTS in the Olympics, who come to the BBQ, will win a prize, with the Theme being "Backcountry Safety". (As Grapevine is opened to us via special arrangement with the US Forest Service, please go to AZPilots.org and pull down the Use and Arrival instructions for Grapevine. (http://azpilots.org/images/attachmen...foPamphlet.pdf)

Many will stay for camping that night at Grapevine, so please feel free to join in!

Default Re: Second Annual Southwest Backcountry Olympics

Rick,
    We will be there from Green Bay,WI. Time is limited so won't be able to bring our Cub but looking forward to the experience.
    Jeff Walch
    N13AQ

Default Re: Second Annual Southwest Backcountry Olympics

I will be practicing covering in Oshkosh. Sorry I will miss it this year. E81 is a great airport!
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES