Thread: Push-Pull Cable aileron control?

Default Push-Pull Cable aileron control?

I've just taken delivery of my CCEX crate today and already thinking of ways to make the building harder!

Has anyone explored using push-pull CABLES (e.g. Teleflex/SeaStar XTREME cables) instead of the pulley & cables used to link/control the flight controls? No slop? Less weight?

In the Seawind 3000 I owned, all the engine controls were connected with Teleflex cables. The longest was just over 15' and had several turns - yet moved back and forth like butter - no slop.

A bunch of LSAs and ultralights use push-pull cables for their controls (e.g. Jabiru, RANS Coyote, etc). I'm not an engineer but I can't imagine that the cables would be the weak link in the controls.

Con: Might complicate the installation of the autopilot.

Because they operated in both directions - push and pull - you could have two sets going to each aileron for the sake of redundancy. Found this thread on the subject on another forum, but nothing specific to the Carbon Cub.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by gderamel; 12-31-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Default Re: Push-Pull Cable aileron control?

Off subject, but figured I'd post the pictures of the crate that arrived today...

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Congrats on the delivery and welcome to the forum! Let the adventure begin!!

"Has anyone explored using push-pull CABLES (e.g. Teleflex/SeaStar XTREME cables) instead of the pulley & cables used to link/control the flight controls? No slop? Less weight?"

As far as the cables go I doubt that you could save much weight with teleflex cables. Also, if the cub is rigged correctly there should be no slop in the system. IMO there are many ways to modify the CC but the control system is one area that I would not experiment on.

MR

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Congrats on the delivery and welcome to the forum! Let the adventure begin!!
    IMO there are many ways to modify the CC but the control system is one area that I would not experiment on.

MR
    I have to agree here. This is a design that has been proven for many years. When Cubcrafters modified the tail wire design by moving the support wires a 1/2 inch from the spar to the hinge point it proved to be a problem. Hence Safety Alert #9. There are a lot of other areas to try your mods.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 01-01-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    As far as the cables go I doubt that you could save much weight with teleflex cables. Also, if the cub is rigged correctly there should be no slop in the system. IMO there are many ways to modify the CC but the control system is one area that I would not experiment on.
    MR
    Yeah, I agree, net-net, probably not worth the risk and or the time/expense. Sticking with what's tried and true.

The Carbon Cub I flew, I was somewhat struck by how mushy the ailerons were. And it was a factory bird too. I'm assuming its rigging was done correctly.