Thread: Help confirm my diagnosis

Default fixed

I can't delete the post. My master solenoid froze and would not pass electricity. I will order a new one Monday. I managed to get it to pass electricity after tapping on it. It can be reached from the bottom panel and a tap from under the pilot seat on the left (facing forward) might help you if you are ever stuck. This is a 2007 Sport Cub, not sure about Carbon Cub location.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 12-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Default Re: Help confirm my diagnosis

Those solenoids do fail from time to time and are fairly easy to replace. If tapping on it restores power then your diagnosis is confirmed. BTW, that is why the ignition power on the Carbon Cub goes directly to the battery, not through the "master contactor", so that if the solenoid fails it doesn't take ignition power with it.
    Randy Lervold

Default Because inquiring minds want to know

I decided to open the old solenoid to determine the problem. It was still intermittent so bear that in mind. The solenoid was clicking but not passing any electricity. There was a bit of what I assume to be contact "wear" but nothing as bad as I expected to find. One non-flash photo shows the wear and the flash shows the interior electromagnet. I am guessing the wear spots always line up in the design and at a certain point do not contact correctly. I expected to see some black from arcing but that is not the case. Hope you find this of interest.