Thread: Rotators

Default Rotators

Just sprayed/brushed my first coat of polybrush on today. I have to say I like Cubcrafters method of spraying then brushing much better than polyfibers recommendation of just brushing it all on. Results were great and a huge time savings.

Here is a few of the rotators that I have made up over the years. They are not great quality but they get the job done and they are a must have for polyurethane paint.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Rotators

Here is a really basic question. Is it better to spray the poly brush with the surface horizontal or vertical?

Best case is to spray everything horizontal. It is especially important if you are going to use polyurethane paint. The paint will flow out and level after its sprayed.

MR

Thanks. Now another question.

When painting something like the fuselage, is it best to paint a horizontal surface and the let it set before rotating to paint another horizontal surface? Would that reduce chance of runs?

All the polyfiber products (polybrush/spray/tone) dry so fast that it's really not an issue. I think it's best to spray them in a horizontal position and wait long enough to let the paint flash off then you can rotate them. You will get the feel for that quickly.

When you start with the polyurethane (this is my experience with ranthane and airtech) I like to let those pieces sit horizontal for about 15 min before I rotate them. With the fuselage or wing that usually means by the time I start at the tail, paint the whole side of the fuselage then I go and reload my paint gun it is time to rotate. It all goes pretty quickly without having to stop and wait.

I don't have any experience with the PPG cubcrafters recommends but will be using it for my trim colors. If anyone could comment on your painting experience with that I would like to hear about it.

MR

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Thanks. Now another question.

When painting something like the fuselage, is it best to paint a horizontal surface and the let it set before rotating to paint another horizontal surface? Would that reduce chance of runs?
    We tried both, with Ranthane you can get good results either way. We settled on vertical for most parts because it eliminates overspray and other debris falling back onto the finished surfaced. This is controlled somewhat by the gun and the quality of the spay booth. Obviously vertical is more prone to runs, but it also keeps you from putting on an excessively heavy coat thereby getting solvent pop or orange peel. Spraying on the horizontal and then rotating works well if that is possible. We found Ranthane was best with multiple light to medium coats to get good flow. Polytone is much easier. Practice on the small parts, it is a bit of trial an error.

Good tips. Hope to start spraying after the first of the year.

I got a little new years painting done. I sprayed my final top coat of Insignia white Ranthane. I think I finally got my paint booth and gun dialed in. I am very happy with the results. Now on to all of the small pieces!!

MR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you finished all cover and most painting on your build?

Can you post a basic list of tools required for painting? Compressor type/capacity? Paint gun? What would you expect to spend for this equipment and where would you buy it? Would it be easier for someone without all the painting equipment, experience and place to paint have a shop do it? What might that cost?

Would the spray of first coat of polybrush give enough "on the job training" with the paint gun to allow a novice to do justice to the top coat? I have some paint spray experience with oil based paint on cabinetry. That's it.

Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Have you finished all cover and most painting on your build?

Can you post a basic list of tools required for painting? Compressor type/capacity? Paint gun? What would you expect to spend for this equipment and where would you buy it? Would it be easier for someone without all the painting equipment, experience and place to paint have a shop do it? What might that cost?

Would the spray of first coat of polybrush give enough "on the job training" with the paint gun to allow a novice to do justice to the top coat? I have some paint spray experience with oil based paint on cabinetry. That's it.

Jim Morrical
    Jim,

The only thing I have covered so far is my tail feathers. I hope to start covering the fuselage within the next few weeks. Right now I am trying to paint as may of the small parts as I can so I don't have all that busy work left for the end of the project!

This a good question and I think it would be better if I started a new thread about this topic. I am sure that a lot of guys that are considering building are most are nervous about the painting process and what's involved. I know that was a big factor for me when I jumped into my first cub project.

MR