Thread: Bird nests and cowl plugs

Default Bird nests and cowl plugs

I'm having some cowl plugs made up for my new CC11-160. The question is "what to plug?" There are seven openings in the cowl (three in front, two on the sides, and two on top), not counting the large opening on the bottom where the exhaust is. That's a lot of plugs! I'm wondering if only the front of the cowl needs plugs. (If I were a bird, I think those are the only holes I'd find inviting.)

Anyone have any experience with nests in the current cowl configuration?

PS. The Cubcrafters store offers cowl plugs, but they don't fit the current CC cowl configuration. There's a note to that effect in the product description, but if you simply click "add to cart" at the first opportunity, without clicking thru to the fuller description, you won't see the note.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Default Re: Bird nests and cowl plugs

The few times I have seen birds nests in the engine compartment it has been on top of the cylinders. We have planes that sit out on the line all spring and summer and I have yet to see any nests in them. Maybe there is enough moving around to disturb them or something. Around here the birds tend to like the planes that sit for weeks or months out away from where people are. Cessnas usually :-)

That being said, cowl plugs, especially the front ones are not a bad idea. Once birds decide they like an airplane they can move an incredible amount of material in a short time and they can be persistent.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks Pete. I think you're right. Although I've had a couple bad experiences with bird nests, the entry point has always been the front, with nests built on the cylinders. I think I'll stick with plugs for the front.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by bgillen View Post
    I'm having some cowl plugs made up for my new CC11-160. The question is "what to plug?" There are seven openings in the cowl (three in front, two on the sides, and two on top), not counting the large opening on the bottom where the exhaust is. That's a lot of plugs! I'm wondering if only the front of the cowl needs plugs. (If I were a bird, I think those are the only holes I'd find inviting.)

PS. The Cubcrafters store offers cowl plugs, but they don't fit the current CC cowl configuration. There's a note to that effect in the product description, but if you simply click "add to cart" at the first opportunity, without clicking thru to the fuller description, you won't see the note.
    Bill, how about posting a photo of the plugs you're having made. I would rather just buy some, but as you mentioned, the plugs available don't fit the new cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Bill, how about posting a photo of the plugs you're having made. I would rather just buy some, but as you mentioned, the plugs available don't fit the new cowl.
    I bought a set of engine inlet plugs from Bruce's Custom Covers. It is a set of 5 plugs for the newer cowls. (CC11-117 on their website).

Jon
    CC #293

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    I bought a set of engine inlet plugs from Bruce's Custom Covers. It is a set of 5 plugs for the newer cowls. (CC11-117 on their website).

Jon
    CC #293
    Jon, thanks for the info. I'll be checking them out pronto. I'm assuming the 5 plugs cover the 2 inlets, 1 cabin heat inlet, then the 2 "nostrils" on the top cowling or cowl flaps?

Jon, thanks for the info. I'll be checking them out pronto. I'm assuming the 5 plugs cover the 2 inlets, 1 cabin heat inlet, then the 2 "nostrils" on the top cowling or cowl flaps?
    Yes they cover the top 2 inlets on top of the cowl. They are slightly thick and have to be squeezed to insert. Main inlet and cabin inlet plugs fit great.

Jon

I'll do that when they come in, which should be in a couple of weeks.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by bgillen View Post
    Birds are a constant problem in this part of the world. (If you have ever seen a Moa you'll understand the scope of this

My first attempt was to have a set of bungs made for everything.
    IMG_1522.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1518.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1521.jpg

This worked well (and I needed the bung around the exhaust) but was messy. The better solution was the cover made by a local NZ firm. Much better than the cabin only cover I got from Bruces and way lighter too. I still use the exhaust pipe bung
    IMG_1523.jpgIMG_1524.jpg

See http://www.barsal.co.nz/custom-covers.html
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    Birds are a constant problem in this part of the world. (If you have ever seen a Moa you'll understand the scope of this

My first attempt was to have a set of bungs made for everything.
    IMG_1522.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1518.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1521.jpg

This worked well (and I needed the bung around the exhaust) but was messy. The better solution was the cover made by a local NZ firm. Much better than the cabin only cover I got from Bruces and way lighter too. I still use the exhaust pipe bung
    IMG_1523.jpgIMG_1524.jpg

See http://www.barsal.co.nz/custom-covers.html
    Well, for sure you won't forget to remove the cover. Great solution!

regards, Carl