Thread: Ignition Pickup wires connectors

Default Ignition Pickup wires connectors

I have a couple more questions for the builders:
    1. I've never used 90 degree crimp connector. It looks as though there is only one crimp on the wire itself and no crimp on the wire insulation, is that correct? and does the exposed wire go all the way to the end of the connector. I've always used aviation crimpers which crimp both the insulation and exposed wire.

2. Could someone also give me a brief description of how the ground wire is built from the ignition wire?, I think a separate wire is soldered to the shielding of the RG400 and then shrink wrapped at the attachment point? There isn't any kind of description in the manual about it and I want to make sure I do it correctly.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Default Re: Ignition Pickup wires connectors

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I have a couple more questions for the builders:
    1. I've never used 90 degree crimp connector. It looks as though there is only one crimp on the wire itself and no crimp on the wire insulation, is that correct? and does the exposed wire go all the way to the end of the connector. I've always used aviation crimpers which crimp both the insulation and exposed wire.

2. Could someone also give me a brief description of how the ground wire is built from the ignition wire?, I think a separate wire is soldered to the shielding of the RG400 and then shrink wrapped at the attachment point? There isn't any kind of description in the manual about it and I want to make sure I do it correctly.
    This is a problem, 90 degree crimp connectors don't work very well unless they are crimped correctly with a very expensive tool. The solution is a straight connector, except there is not enough space for those. Soldering would work, but it would be difficult to replace the coil. If the primary gets loose, it can ruin the coil so it is important to get this right. Beg or Borrow a tool, but ensure these connectors are tight. These should be checked every time the cowl is off.

You are correct, the shield from the RG400 is ground to the other connector on the coil. It can be done without cutting it, just twist and crimp the shield wire into the connector. It is also important to keep the RG400 separated from the sensor wires.

We know all this because we had a misfire at high RPM on our initial flights. After looking extensively into the ignition system, it turned out we were just not leaning enough, a very simple fix.

Thanks DRL for the heads up about the crimper, guess I'll need to talk to Mitch.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Just received some pictures of the crimp that CubCrafters is using on the flag crimp fittings. Because this isn't an aviation style crimp I'll be using glue infused heat shrink around the crimped end to reduce vibration on the single crimp point.
    IMG_0439.jpgIMG_0440.jpg
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA