Hello,

News from Carbon Cub Kit! This has been a great month for the Carbon Cub program; the first Carbon Cub Kit has now been completed and certified as of June 30,2009.
The empty weight of this aircraft was 954lbs, with an ECI Titan 340 engine in it, a Dynon glass panel, 8:50 X 6 tires, and CubCrafters Firewall Forward Kit that includes carbon fiber cooling plenum and exhaust. The Carbon Cub was test flown the day following certification and it flew straight and level. It's good to see a kit fly flawlessly right out of the box!
I had the chance to fly the Carbon Cub; it should be named mountain goat or something else. I ran it up to about 1/3 throttle to see how it was going to handle on the mains and as soon as the tail came up, the ground started getting farther and farther away. At about 200 feet I decided to go full throttle, and it was definitely a WOW experience. I was at mid field and pattern altitude when I pulled the throttle back and set it up for level flight. This is an experience that every pilot should have, an aircraft that has this climb performance while still having a useful load of 911lbs.
Furthermore, I am proud to say that the first is now completed and the innovations and engineering that went into this design has been surpassed with flying colors!

Until Next Time Happy Flying!
Mitch Travis
Kit Program Manager