Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instruction in a Carbon Cub

Default Instruction in a Carbon Cub

Does anyone know of flight schools providing instruction in a Carbon Cub? Preferably in the southwest.

Default Re: Instruction in a Carbon Cub

Paul, I don't think you're going to find a CarbonCub in a flight school environment. I would guess almost all CarbonCubs are converted into the E-LSA category thus, making them ineligible for commercial use. I would suggest find a school that has the SportCub. That is what I did before I took delivery of my CarbonCub. The SportCub is going to handle and perform almost identically to the CarbonCub except for take off and climb. I had been away from tailwheel flying for many years and the refresher I received in a SportCub was extremely beneficial for me. I flew with Brandon NeSmith of Tablerock Aviation in Hickory, NC. Brandon is a top notch tailwheel instructor with a beautiful SportCub. I realize he is on the opposite side of the country. I'm sure others on the forum can offer suggestions closer to home. You are going to love your CarbonCub!

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Paul, I don't think you're going to find a CarbonCub in a flight school environment. I would guess almost all CarbonCubs are converted into the E-LSA category thus, making them ineligible for commercial use. I would suggest find a school that has the SportCub. That is what I did before I took delivery of my CarbonCub. The SportCub is going to handle and perform almost identically to the CarbonCub except for take off and climb. I had been away from tailwheel flying for many years and the refresher I received in a SportCub was extremely beneficial for me. I flew with Brandon NeSmith of Tablerock Aviation in Hickory, NC. Brandon is a top notch tailwheel instructor with a beautiful SportCub. I realize he is on the opposite side of the country. I'm sure others on the forum can offer suggestions closer to home. You are going to love your CarbonCub!
    Sheldon,
    Thanks for you endorsement of the idea of using a Sport Cub for training in preparation for flying a Carbon Cub!

As the Southwest dealer, I get that question allot. I am not aware of any S-LSA Carbon Cubs for rent in any schools, and know of just one actual plane (privately owned) in Colorado. If anyone out there owns a school and wants to put an S-LSA in the rental pool, contact me….. it could be for sale!

In the mean time, besides the NC school you wrote about, Sheldon, there is Twin Oaks in Portland, a CubCrafters dealer, as well as Stanton Sport Aviation in Minnesota, who are a Service Center but also instruct in one of their Sport Cubs. Both of them own Sport Cubs and rent and instruct in them. Ive sent many customers their way!

As you correctly pointed out, other than take off distance and climb out, the Sport Cub is a great way to get familiar with the landing and roll out characteristics of the Carbon Cub, as they will be quite similar.

I saw Paul's EX yesterday, and he has done a fine job of building it! Gorgeous plane….. Ill be helping him find the best solution for getting him ready for that maiden flight!

Rick
    SunCountry Cubs
    Phoenix AZ

Paul: Dual in a Super Cub would be of value as well....and they are comparatively available. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Thanks Ralph. Yeah, I think that's what I'll do, leading up to test flight, is go back to Chandler Air Services here in AZ where I did my TW endorsement. They fly Super Cubs. Good instructors. They take stick and rudder very seriously and don't just churn out the endorsements...not until they're sure you know what those pedals are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks Ralph. Yeah, I think that's what I'll do, leading up to test flight, is go back to Chandler Air Services here in AZ where I did my TW endorsement. They fly Super Cubs. Good instructors. They take stick and rudder very seriously and don't just churn out the endorsements...not until they're sure you know what those pedals are for.
    You can come fly my Sports Cub at DVT with me- plus Rick gave me a really good instructor recommendation Bob Fugate out of Falcon Field (who will also travel).

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Paul: Dual in a Super Cub would be of value as well....and they are comparatively available. R
    Not so sure about that IMHO: heel brakes in the Super Cub vs. toe brakes in the Carbon Cub. Being ready and able to use brakes to keep the aircraft straight is an important part of being a TW pilot, and heel brakes are a completely different animal. True, PA-18 time would help with general flying skills, but it's yaw deviations while landing what you really want to be prepared for.

BTW, I believe Twin Oaks will provide dual in their Carbon Cub, giving them a ring would provide all the info you need. (www.twinoaksairpark.com)
    Randy Lervold

I am curious to hear what others have done. I just got my first insurance quote today for the EX that I am building. I have a 170 hours of cub time and the insurance companies want between two and five hours of dual in make and model. Not sure how I am going to accomplish that. You can't get dual in an EX and not sure the sport cub qualifies as "model" time.

MR

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I am curious to hear what others have done. I just got my first insurance quote today for the EX that I am building. I have a 170 hours of cub time and the insurance companies want between two and five hours of dual in make and model. Not sure how I am going to accomplish that. You can't get dual in an EX and not sure the sport cub qualifies as "model" time.

MR
    Why can't you get dual in an EX?

You can't use an experimental for commercial operations so there are none for rent. I can't get dual in mine because it will have to be flown solo for the first 40 hours. I guess if you had a buddy that was willing to let you use his EX that would work.

Im sure it has been done many times with as many EX's as there are. Maybe the insurance company will give a waiver. Just curious what other EX builders have done.