Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience required?

Default Experience required?

Hello all. I'm exploring building an EX...my question is what experience does one need to build one? I'm comfortable with automotive (mechanical and electrical) work.

Thanks
    R
    Eric

Default Re: Experience required?

Eric,

I am also in the process of building an EX and I can tell you it is one of the best kits on the market. You really don't fabricate this kit you assemble it. If you have basic skills you will have no problems. Also, the support from the factory is excellent when you do have questions. Go through the builders forum and you will see some builds in process. You won't be disappointed!

MR

Eric,

I have zero experience and my build has been going better than I expected. Mitch the kit mgr is great. Parts are excellent. I would take a tour of the factory if you can. If you do decide to build, take a covering course offered by the EAA of you have zero fabric experience like me.

It's been fun building so far. I finished paint and fabric in Sept and am now trying to wire the ship. Once that's done, final assembly.

Good luck,

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!

I forgot, the EAA web has a ton of "hints for homebuilders" short videos. Everything from drilling out a rivet (important skill) to rib stitching a wing. Great resource for the novice.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!

Eric. I found the weekend EAA Sport Air Workshops to be a great help in learning many of the new skills associated with building a CC EX!

I've taken both Sheet Metal Basics and Fabric Covering and am scheduled for Electronics and Avionics this Feb. Nothing like having and expert show you how to set up and work a new tool, or get a piece of fabric to lay down around a wing tip! Here is the EAA workshop web site. http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-e...kshop-schedule

good luck. Chip

Eric, I worked a desk job all my life and had zero experience when I started building my Carbon Cub EX. This kit, in my opinion, is the best one out there. Several things all work together in order for me to say that. The precision of the parts, detail of the manuals, CC plant videos, a growing CC builder community and forum, and above all, the support and dedication of our Kit manager, Mitch Travis.
    As the others mentoned the EAA workshops are a big help. I took the fabric workshop. I'd add one thing to that though...where the procedure differs between what Mitch and others are saying, go with Mitch and the CC methods. You'll end up with a better priduct.
    I'll be putting my wings on this week, and looking back there's been lots of learning curves but I wouldn't give up one phase of the build.

All....thanks for the insights and recommendations. The EAA workshops certainly look like time well spent.

Did everyone start with the fuselage kit?

R
    Eric

I started with the wings, Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric46 View Post
    Hello all. I'm exploring building an EX...my question is what experience does one need to build one? I'm comfortable with automotive (mechanical and electrical) work.

Thanks
    R
    Eric
    I had nothing but automotive experience and I was very happy with the end result. Mitch's help was a big part of that. Some of the more important things are to be patient and not rushed, read the instructions all the way through and understand them before picking up the tools, ask questions if your not sure, and walk away for a while if you get frustrated (which will happen). The mistakes I made were mostly related to those things. Do some practice riveting (there are not a lot of rivets but you don't want to learn on the wings) and takea a fabric class if you can. Oh yeah and if your fussy about the finish and don't have experience spraying automotive paint stay away from metallic paint or get some help from an experienced painter. The solid color was easy to spray with no experience.

it was a great experience and I would do it again.

I started with the wings... In addition to some great videos produced by Mitch and crew at Cub Crafters, another resource I found very helpful was the DVD set produced by joe Czachorowski. Joe video taped his build of CC kit #3. I bought the DVD set before buying the kit to see exactly what was involved and what skills were required. It helped a lot in convincing me I could do this... They were also very helpful during the build. It was great to see a video of what the manual was asking you to do. There are some differences from Kit 3 to now, and Joe did deviate from the manual, but overall it was a great help on my build. Look in the Forum's Q&A section for the thread Carbon Cub Kit DVDs