Thread: Question on adjusting the Gross Weight

Default Question on adjusting the Gross Weight

Hello all, new to the forum here. Had a question on gross weight...what is required to adjust the gross weight from 1350 to 1850 (i.e. no longer operate as a LSA)?

Thanks
    r
    Eric

Default Re: Question on adjusting the Gross Weight

Eric,

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of good info here!

Unfortunately, it is not possible unless you build your own EX kit or buy an already completed 1865# Carbon Cub EX. There is no legal way to take a 1320# factory LSA and increase its weight.

MR
    Last edited by Cubrath; 11-14-2014 at 09:38 PM.

MR...thanks. I presume its possible to operate an EX as an LSA though?

r
    Eric

Eric, that is correct. You can certify the EX at 1320 and operate it as an LSA.

MR

MR...ok thanks. If an EX is certified at 1865, can it be operated as an LSA as long as you don't exceed 1320...or is it an either/or based on the certification? If recertification is required, presume there is a recertification process one has to go through? Thanks again.

R
    Eric

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that once an experimental aircraft receives certification at a certain weight, be it 1320 or 1865 for a CC EX it can never be changed. You can't build an EX, certify it at 1865# and then a year later decide to reduce the weight to 1320 to get it into the LSA category.

MR

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that once an experimental aircraft receives certification at a certain weight, be it 1320 or 1865 for a CC EX it can never be changed. You can't build an EX, certify it at 1865# and then a year later decide to reduce the weight to 1320 to get it into the LSA category.

MR
    You are are correct about taking an EX from 1865 to 1320. It is not allowed. But if you register it at 1320 you can take it up to 1865 later if you wish. But as you said it would be stuck there. Rule doesn't make sense. If I did not renew my medical and had an EX at 1865 I would have to sell it and buy another identical in every way but registered at 1320 in order to legally fly it. That is why I have mine registered at 1320 for now. Go figure.

Richard

Thanks for the clarification.

R
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by richphil View Post
    You are are correct about taking an EX from 1865 to 1320. It is not allowed. But if you register it at 1320 you can take it up to 1865 later if you wish. But as you said it would be stuck there. Rule doesn't make sense. If I did not renew my medical and had an EX at 1865 I would have to sell it and buy another identical in every way but registered at 1320 in order to legally fly it. That is why I have mine registered at 1320 for now. Go figure.

Richard
    Just a quick confirmation that Richard's explanation is correct.
    Randy Lervold