Thread: Bungee Landing Gear versus AOSS Gear

Lightbulb Bungee Landing Gear versus AOSS Gear

Does anyone out there have experience with both systems? Any advice? Preferences? Is the AOSS a superior product? What about stability and controllability?

Default Re: Bungee Landing Gear versus AOSS Gear

Hi, Rick;

I've owned several Carbon Cubs and Sport Cubs over my time (7+ years) as a CubCrafters dealer, and I've had both AOSS and bungees in that time. I can honestly say that, (in our part of the country) the selection of one over the other is personal choice more than anything "technical". The industry has been putting bungees on airplane suspensions since the 1920's, and they perform as well now as they did then.

The AOSS certainly has its place (hard back-country flying), but it's a bit "stiff" for my taste. I've decided that AOSS is a good choice if you're flying on 26" or 29" tundra tires, (the tire absorbs most of the landing "energy"), but I much prefer bungees for flying on 8.00's or 8.50's. Again, owner preference. I will say that the belly looks "cleaner", more streamlined with AOSS than with the airfoil cover over the bungees. Just my $0.02 worth.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Rick

I had a Sport Cub with bungees originally but switched to the AOSS gear and 8.50 tires. Bungees have to be changed every 5 years and I like the look of the AOSS over bungees with the covers. I liked the change to AOSS with 8.50 tires and I ordered that same combination with the Carbon Cub I have now. Now with the option of 8.50 LSA Tundra tires it adds another thing to choose ...... Guess it is a matter of personal preference.

Jon

AOSS is easier to clean. Just sayin'...

If you are tuned in enough, there is a noticeable difference in the rebound after a bounce. It doesn't spring back on you as much as a set of bungees does. but it is a bit stiffer of a landing under normal conditions, like Chip said.

A cylindrical object on its side presents more drag than a tear dropped shape. Not that it matters that much, but still...

I just changed this Summer to the AOSS from the bungee's. I have 26 inch tires. My first impression when making very short and occasional "dropped" landings is less rebound. I have not noticed the additional firmness but with the big tires and the fact that I almost always land on turf strips, I doubt you would. The AOSS are easier to keep clean, cost is what makes it a close call in my mind as to value.

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Post Re: Bungee Landing Gear versus AOSS Gear

AOSS all the way. Better dampening better all around on aircraft and components. I my humble little ol opinion.
    Scot Warren - Member / President
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Aircraft LLC View Post
    AOSS all the way. Better dampening better all around on aircraft and components. I my humble little ol opinion.
    I second that! AOSS all the way!
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES

Quote Originally Posted by Rick.VKX View Post
    Does anyone out there have experience with both systems? Any advice? Preferences? Is the AOSS a superior product? What about stability and controllability?
    I've had my CC for 3 years and have not once regretted choosing the AOSS gear. I have the 8.5 tyres.

I very rarely get significant arrival bounce, which I don't attribute to skill but to the gear absorbing the heavier arrivals.

That said I almost exclusively use the plane on on longish (500m) grass strips and generally use wheel landings so I am lowering it on slowly and don't drop the plane in a three point too often.

You might also consider the long term costs of bungee maintenance/replacement and the ugliness of the bungee safety wires which I'd be keen to have it I'd gone that way.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    I've had my CC for 3 years and have not once regretted choosing the AOSS gear. I have the 8.5 tyres.

I very rarely get significant arrival bounce, which I don't attribute to skill but to the gear absorbing the heavier arrivals.

That said I almost exclusively use the plane on on longish (500m) grass strips and generally use wheel landings so I am lowering it on slowly and don't drop the plane in a three point too often.

You might also consider the long term costs of bungee maintenance/replacement and the ugliness of the bungee safety wires which I'd be keen to have it I'd gone that way.
    I started with my Carbon Cub on Bungees, but flying off airport in some pretty rough terrain I broke a bungee. Luckily I had safety cables but switched to the AOSS. Another added bonus is the AOSS is so much easier to clean when you are cleaning your aircraft.
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES