Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin VIRB

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Default Re: Garmin VIRB

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The piece he has his thumb on, and the thumb screw looks like something from GoPro...
    That is a go pro tripod mount.. can be purchased at Best Buy
    Scot Warren - Member / President
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Aircraft LLC View Post
    That is a go pro tripod mount.. can be purchased at Best Buy
    "This is my all-time favorite picture from summer 2014. I used the strut mount sold by Cub Crafters....works great"IMG_0140.jpg

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Doesn't get much better Rick. Nice shot.
    Scot Warren - Member / President
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & Louisiana

I agree, great shot.

I agree, great shot Rick! Looks like a well-placed iPad mini too. I think I'll try mine there--picking up the plane this Friday!

About mounting the VIRB, the GoPro tripod mount does the trick, but you'll also need the thumbscrew that goes with it. That thumbscrew has different thread than the Garmin components and I had to do some running around to get everything to fit together.

Since there are probably going to be a number of VIRB's sold to folks who get the G3X Touch, the CC Store might want to put together a little package with the parts necessary to make the VIRB work with the bracket they sell.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Thumbs up Re: Garmin VIRB

Garmin Virb and GoPro. . I first mounted my GoPro(3+) on the R strut about eye level and I activated it with a remote. . .worked pretty good....very exciting to see the results on the computer screen. Learning how to edit and make a video is more of a challenge. Ever since I purchased my CC-11 with the G3X, I felt that Garmin, in their infinite wisdom and their obvious efforts for quality, most likely would have created a top notch camera. Well, as you can imagine, with a couple of real nice GoPros (3+ and 4), I was somewhat reluctant to shell out another four hundred plus bucks for the Virb. I do not regret it one bit. It is a fabulous camera and much, much simpler to operate.

Now, the original idea was to bring what the camera sees right up on the G3X. I first mounted it up above my head on the right looking out through the windshield. I totally wired it into the G3X thanks to some great help from CubCrafters. The camera is very easy to activate. I finally located the Virb stuff on the G3x, and bingo! No picture but by simply touching the screen, I can take a single shot or take a video. Whether an actual view of what the camera sees is possible, I'm simply not sure. BUT, hang on. . . that nice wrist remote Garmin makes is wonderful. . . and with it I can once again mount the Virb out on the strut or wherever. So far, I prefer the strut because it is easy for me to activate the camera before I fire up and as I'm flying, I can see the green light flashing indicating we are on. There are only three buttons on the wrist unit. . .single shot, video, and off. It couldn't be any easier and frankly, I love the quality of the Virb and I particularly like the shots showing some of my beautiful bird and the Aerocet floats.

In summation, I wouldn't bother wiring it all in. I'd simply purchase the Virb and their remote, place the camera wherever
    you like and shoot. You will love the results and it is simple as hell.
    Wayne Wibby
    Carbon Cub #324
    Aerocet amphibs

Quote Originally Posted by wwibby View Post
    Garmin Virb and GoPro. . I first mounted my GoPro(3+) on the R strut about eye level and I activated it with a remote. . .worked pretty good....very exciting to see the results on the computer screen. Learning how to edit and make a video is more of a challenge. Ever since I purchased my CC-11 with the G3X, I felt that Garmin, in their infinite wisdom and their obvious efforts for quality, most likely would have created a top notch camera. Well, as you can imagine, with a couple of real nice GoPros (3+ and 4), I was somewhat reluctant to shell out another four hundred plus bucks for the Virb. I do not regret it one bit. It is a fabulous camera and much, much simpler to operate.

Now, the original idea was to bring what the camera sees right up on the G3X. I first mounted it up above my head on the right looking out through the windshield. I totally wired it into the G3X thanks to some great help from CubCrafters. The camera is very easy to activate. I finally located the Virb stuff on the G3x, and bingo! No picture but by simply touching the screen, I can take a single shot or take a video. Whether an actual view of what the camera sees is possible, I'm simply not sure. BUT, hang on. . . that nice wrist remote Garmin makes is wonderful. . . and with it I can once again mount the Virb out on the strut or wherever. So far, I prefer the strut because it is easy for me to activate the camera before I fire up and as I'm flying, I can see the green light flashing indicating we are on. There are only three buttons on the wrist unit. . .single shot, video, and off. It couldn't be any easier and frankly, I love the quality of the Virb and I particularly like the shots showing some of my beautiful bird and the Aerocet floats.

In summation, I wouldn't bother wiring it all in. I'd simply purchase the Virb and their remote, place the camera wherever
    you like and shoot. You will love the results and it is simple as hell.
    Which model Virb are you using?

Thanks, Glenn 40M

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Which model Virb are you using?

Thanks, Glenn 40M
    It's the Virb EX. I believe it's the latest one. Glenn, it is a fabulous camera and soooo simple to set up and use and the quality of the shots is top notch. I went to a lot of trouble and $$$ to mount it inside connected right to the G3X. And I did it. . .. but, I sure like the shots from the wing or wherever much better. I've saved a number of short videos which I plan to edit, add music, etc. . . . eventually!

My favorite mount so far is on the right strut at arm's reach. . . this way, I can taxi into position, simply reach out and turn the camera on (switch is right on the top) and go. There is a very visible green flashing light which turns red when you activate the camera by simply pushing the button on your wrist activator. Simple as that.

Regards, WWW .....and it a helluva lot easier to use than this forum!
    Wayne Wibby
    Carbon Cub #324
    Aerocet amphibs

Quote Originally Posted by wwibby View Post
    It's the Virb EX. I believe it's the latest one. Glenn, it is a fabulous camera and soooo simple to set up and use and the quality of the shots is top notch. I went to a lot of trouble and $$$ to mount it inside connected right to the G3X. And I did it. . .. but, I sure like the shots from the wing or wherever much better. I've saved a number of short videos which I plan to edit, add music, etc. . . . eventually!

My favorite mount so far is on the right strut at arm's reach. . . this way, I can taxi into position, simply reach out and turn the camera on (switch is right on the top) and go. There is a very visible green flashing light which turns red when you activate the camera by simply pushing the button on your wrist activator. Simple as that.

Regards, WWW .....and it a helluva lot easier to use than this forum!
    Which mount are you using at the strut?

Thanks again
    Glenn