Thread: water in the fuel?

Default water in the fuel?

sb 29 has brought up a question that I had not previously considered:

My cub has never spent one night outside, but I have on a couple of occasions flown in pretty heavy rain. Will that possibly introduce water into the fuel system through the vent pipes on the fuel caps?

Default Re: water in the fuel?

It is possible but I haven't seen it happen. I have only flown in heavy rain a couple of times for short periods though so I have not seen it happen personally.

The vents on the fuel tanks only have as much air going into them as there is fuel going out which isn't much. It's not like they are sucking lots of air it, it is more air pressure.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I flew my Cub back from Florida to Arizona after I bought it and I was trying to outpace the hurricane coming through the South around the time of the last Republican Convention in Florida. I managed to pick up a nice tail wind for the day and flew most of the day in light to moderate rain. I was a bit concerned about the fuel vents myself, but the next morning after rocking the wings extensively, I did not have any water in the sumps. I doubt you will ever see much water from the fuel vents.

While your talking about fuel caps keep on eye on them in below freezing temps. The CC I fly along side has had his cap vents freeze shut on more then one occasion when flying below 15F

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    I flew my Cub back from Florida to Arizona after I bought it and I was trying to outpace the hurricane coming through the South around the time of the last Republican Convention in Florida. I managed to pick up a nice tail wind for the day and flew most of the day in light to moderate rain. I was a bit concerned about the fuel vents myself, but the next morning after rocking the wings extensively, I did not have any water in the sumps. I doubt you will ever see much water from the fuel vents.
    Hi Ken!
    Im the dealer down here in Arizona and NM/CO/UT… based in Phoenix. Do you winter down here? What airport do you fly out of? Id love to keep you up to date on our winter flyouts and activities…. we are pretty active in the winter down here!

Rick
    SunCountry Cubs