Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowl blanket

Default Re: Cowl blanket

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    Bruce's Custom Covers also has an engine cover for the CC11.
    A friend of mine has one of these on his PA18
    https://www.aircraftcovers.com/gener...and-carbon-cub
    Bill

I spoke to the folks at Kennon and they said they don't have a template for the current shape of the CC cowl. (I didn't know there have been changes.) I may stop by on my way home from Yakima to have them fit a blanket for me, although I'm told their production line will be going full blast for a while yet. In the meantime, I'll use the blanket from my PA-18.

Thanks for the comments and advice.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

I have a Bruce's Custom Cover. They have the templates for old and new cowls. Works fine. I also have their cockpit & window cover. Nice, too. Mike B

Quote Originally Posted by bgillen View Post
    I spoke to the folks at Kennon and they said they don't have a template for the current shape of the CC cowl. (I didn't know there have been changes.) I may stop by on my way home from Yakima to have them fit a blanket for me, although I'm told their production line will be going full blast for a while yet. In the meantime, I'll use the blanket from my PA-18.

Thanks for the comments and advice.
    The Carbon Cub cowling changed in 2012. Different shape in the front/openings area.

Pete
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

We have mornings below zero not uncommonly here in Northern Montana. I bought two large (but cheap) rectangular sleeping bags at Sam's, costoco, or other discount store. They have three or more inches of loft. With that, I bought about 4 saddle blanket pins and 30 ft. of rope, all of which is useable in a winter emergency. Zip the two bags together down one side to form a larger rectangle, pin the bottom to the top behind the spinner, wrap the rope around the whole thing. It is airtight. I can keep the engine at 60F with one trouble light placed in the exhaust cowl flaring.

The advantage is....it is always at 60F throughout the engine compartment... there are many discussions about using preheaters and if you preheat...you should fly the plane because of differential heating/condensation. With this setup... the plane just thinks it is in southern Florida all winter long. Pretty....it isn't if that bothers you. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.