Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADS-B question

Default Re: ADS-B question

Some good info from Garmin in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...58&postcount=2

As you probably know, G3X systems without certified position sources (like GNS/GTN units) are transmitting ADS-B Out today with their internal WAAS GPS and GTX23ES or GTX330ES Mode S transponders and enjoying the benefits of ADS-B, but the SDA parameter is set to 0 (indicating non-certified design assurance). Perhaps the regulations will change by 2020 allowing VFR aircraft to continue to use non-certified position sources for ADS-B Out like we do today, but we don't know.
    To answer your earlier question about whether the ground stations can tell the difference between certified and non-certified position sources, yes, the ground stations see the SDA parameter in your squitter and know if you are 2020 compliant with an SDA of 2 or if you are non-compliant with something less.

Today, ground stations do not deny any services (including TIS-B uplinks of Mode C traffic and ADS-R rebroadcast of ADS-B traffic) just because your position source is non-certified.

Just a reminder that FIS-B weather is broadcast to everyone, so this also has nothing to do with the design assurance of your position source.

Very helpful info. Thanks.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Has anyone bought one of these?
    Has the factory looked at this?
    http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com
    I don't like the way it installs or the funky antennas but it's about the lowest price so far.
    Maybe I should come out of retirement and design a $500 box that does everything.

Bill
    I've had one in my Carbon Cub for a little over a month and like it.

David Morris
    N63PG