Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Service Bulletin 29 Released

Smile Re: Service Bulletin 29 Released

Let me say first that I have never found any water , or ice crystals while on skis, in the fuel system of my carbon cub. I always drain a round bottom cocktail type glassful which I donate to my airstrip mower. During ski installation last year, I drained fuel while the plane was in level flight attitude and again no water.
    After reading SB 29 I decided to hold a 4 foot level from the rear lower window corner running forward to determine at the fuel selector where a level line ran. My plane is on 26 inch Airstreaks and sits on a level hangar floor. A level line passes almost exactly through the center of the fuel selector shaft. So, the drain line above it must run uphill. Jake

Default Re: Service Bulletin 29 Released

Quote Originally Posted by v.schmidt View Post
    Dan-

We are in the process of printing and mailing out the Service Bulletin for the effected EX owners. Those should be out by the end of the week.

The pricing of the parts kits is being finalized and will be posted to the parts store shortly.

Regards,
    Victoria Schmidt
    Technical Publications Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    I never have received any notification of this SB for my EX.

I did did take pictures of my fuel system and fuel line routing prior to covering and looking at those now I can't see how I'd have a low-point collection spot in my runs if parked on level ground. I have a different extended baggage than the factory kit and my fuel line is a little different in the back.

I can't see fixing something that isn't broke.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Dad has a customer's Carbon Cub in his shop right now complying with this SB. Will get a pirep on the SB and work/time involved.

Due to complications with our printing company, the mailings have been terribly delayed. I am working very hard to get those to you as soon as possible.

I have been working on an emailing list, where you can sign up to receive an email when a new SB (or SB revision) regarding your aircraft model is released. You can follow this link to the sign-up page.

We've made a change where notification letters can be sent by mail or email, but the Service Bulletin copy will only be sent with the parts kit from now on. The PDF copy will still be available on our website.
    [FONT=arial][B][COLOR=#0000ff]Victoria Schmidt
    [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=arial][COLOR=#000000]Publications & Graphic Design[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial][U][FONT=arial][EMAIL="victoria.schmidt@cubcrafters.com"][COLOR=#0000ff]victoria.schmidt@cubcrafters.com[/COLOR][/EMAIL][/FONT][/U][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Dad has a customer's Carbon Cub in his shop right now complying with this SB. Will get a pirep on the SB and work/time involved.
    Clay,
    What was the final time required for the compliance? Thanks

12 hours with a two hour learning curve included in that. Second time around probably closer to 10. If we worked at the factory, we too could probably do it in 6-8.

Be very careful with the side panel when removing or re-installing. VERY easy to crack the clearcoat over top of the visible carbon fiber in the panel. Almost inevitable without removing the aft left side panel too (the one in the first baggage area), this very hard to do though because that rear panel is installed with the super-heterodyne double sided sticky tape that is nigh on impossible to peel off of. So you end up having to weegee-haw that side panel out and then back in. If not careful you will rack that side panel enough to introduce said cracks into said side panel.

Also suggest lining your metal protective sheet (used while routing out new hose location in stringer) with masking tape to protect fabric from a potential un-dressed edge. Just an extra precaution.

We encountered a good deal of shavings in belly of boot cowl from drilling for the new drain location, despite using a high powered shop vac in close proximity to suck shavings out from the inside as dad drilled. We ended up unscrewing boot cowl at bottom rear and blowing forced air from inside left front where the side panel is removed. This worked the majority of the shavings down and out to the bottom.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 11-18-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks Clay. I thought the time would be in excess of 10 hours. I worry about the side panel as well. Mine is double stick taped that is over seven years old now.

Finished SB29 on #21 Saturday...14 hours total...but maybe I am just a little slow...I used a slim-jim to assist in the areas where the double edged tape was so resistant near the bottom of the side panel. I used a bent hacksaw blade with painters tape wrapped around it as a handle to cut the carbon fiber stringer and also taped an aluminum plate for protection of poking a hole in the fabric. I thought cutting the stringer was the worse part till I started trying to line up the holes to re-install the fuel selector valve after replacing side panel..took a while and several attempts. I too worried about not getting all the debris from drilling the bottom boot cowl but hoped for the best.

I'm about six hours into SB00029. So far, so good...until I got to step 27. The 9" section of nylon tubing does not slip easily over the LH aft fuel line. About 2" on and it really binds up. I cleaned the outside of the fuel line and tried some dish soap as a lubricant. This didn't help. I called Jeff at CubCrafters and he said there were a few other reports of this happening, but people did manage to get the nylon tubing slipped over the fuel line. Does anybody have the secret code for getting the protective nylon tubing over the fuel line?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerGrahl View Post
    I'm about six hours into SB00029. So far, so good...until I got to step 27. The 9" section of nylon tubing does not slip easily over the LH aft fuel line. About 2" on and it really binds up. I cleaned the outside of the fuel line and tried some dish soap as a lubricant. This didn't help. I called Jeff at CubCrafters and he said there were a few other reports of this happening, but people did manage to get the nylon tubing slipped over the fuel line. Does anybody have the secret code for getting the protective nylon tubing over the fuel line?
    We have occasionally found it necessary to split the outer protective tubing to get it to slip over. It can be tight. If you do split it, just be sure to wrap it with antifriction tape or something to keep it in place.