Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Skis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Snow Skis

I am on the verge of setting up skis for my cub and am debating between Summit Aviation Skis and TrikAir Skis. Any thoughts out there? TrikAir has an internal frame for strength, is a bit heavier, and requires welding to apply the attachment bracket. The Summit Aviation skis have a bolt on bracket, no welding needed, and are carbon fiber Monocoque construction (no internal frame, lightweight exterior shell structural strength).
    I would love to hear feedback about anyone's experience with either or both!!
    Thanks!!

Default Re: Snow Skis

I just saw a set of Summits at Cubcrafters. I like the additional flotation they have and the UHMW bottoms with even more floatation you can add. I had a set of Trick airs on my old Legend Cub and I nearly spent the night on a glacier in Alaska as the soft snow was packing around the tire. The Summit has a tighter fit around the tire. If you are really going to rely on the ski in remote areas I would still go with the Fluidyne/Wip retract set-up but they are a lot of money and weight. If you are going to use them in more forgiving environments, I would go with Summit's. I have a fair amount of glacier mountain time in Alaska as my background. They are a blast to explore the wild.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 09-20-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks for the response- I am in Michigan and though winters are long I am looking mostly at relatively forgiving snow with depths of 6-8 inches, packed, and a lot of frozen lake landing. I am leaning towards the Summit skis due to the light weight and easy initial installation. New at this, I want to be as confident as possible that the two makers skis are equally sturdy standing up to inadvertent side loads- my only reservation with the Summit skis is the Monocoque construction with the main attachment bracket applied to the upper surface without internal framework. I have not seen any posts or net comments indicating a tendency for weakness there, which I take as a good sign.
    Thanks for this and any other input; getting excited for winter adventures this year!

I have the summit ski on carbon cub and very happy. Used last season in vt. Ski has great floatation. Makes the ac able to land in most snow conditions. Installation was very easy. Excellent instructions. Mike at summit is a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for the follow up, kevino and cityrancher: sounds like this might be the way to go. Mike at Summit has indeed been very responsive and helpful so far and I suspect I will pull the trigger and get going on my ski purchase. I appreciate your input as well as any input from others out there.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jebakeman View Post
    Thanks for the response- I am in Michigan and though winters are long I am looking mostly at relatively forgiving snow with depths of 6-8 inches, packed, and a lot of frozen lake landing. I am leaning towards the Summit skis due to the light weight and easy initial installation. New at this, I want to be as confident as possible that the two makers skis are equally sturdy standing up to inadvertent side loads- my only reservation with the Summit skis is the Monocoque construction with the main attachment bracket applied to the upper surface without internal framework. I have not seen any posts or net comments indicating a tendency for weakness there, which I take as a good sign.
    Thanks for this and any other input; getting excited for winter adventures this year!
    Love my Summits!!!!!!

IMG_2014.jpg

In the Carbon Cub with its power to weight ratio I haven't found any conditions that were too much.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    IMG_2014.jpg

In the Carbon Cub with its power to weight ratio I haven't found any conditions that were too much.
    Those are very big skis.

I will give you a very general idea. If the snow is knee deep when walking without snow shoes, I would have my alert antenna up. If it is this deep I think you will want a tailwheel ski. It doesn't take a lot of drag to slow the aircraft a lot for take off. I hesitate to give advice on this because a lot of judgement is involved. Start with the easy stuff and work your confidence up with experience. Any off airport landing has risk, use prudent judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    I will give you a very general idea. If the snow is knee deep when walking without snow shoes, I would have my alert antenna up. If it is this deep I think you will want a tailwheel ski. It doesn't take a lot of drag to slow the aircraft a lot for take off. I hesitate to give advice on this because a lot of judgement is involved. Start with the easy stuff and work your confidence up with experience. Any off airport landing has risk, use prudent judgement.
    Thanks.. I have been told by some very experienced back country pilots to stay away from skis. I think up here there would be too much risk given the massive amount of snow they get around here. If I was flying an old super cub or scout or 170b, something that wouldn't break the bank if it were lost, I might try it. Im too scared to damage my new plane just yet. Thanks for them info. It was very helpful.