Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow Skis

Default Snow Skis

I am on the verge of setting up skis for my cub and am debating between Summit Aviation Skis and TrikAir Skis. Any thoughts out there? TrikAir has an internal frame for strength, is a bit heavier, and requires welding to apply the attachment bracket. The Summit Aviation skis have a bolt on bracket, no welding needed, and are carbon fiber Monocoque construction (no internal frame, lightweight exterior shell structural strength).
    I would love to hear feedback about anyone's experience with either or both!!
    Thanks!!

Default Re: Snow Skis

I just saw a set of Summits at Cubcrafters. I like the additional flotation they have and the UHMW bottoms with even more floatation you can add. I had a set of Trick airs on my old Legend Cub and I nearly spent the night on a glacier in Alaska as the soft snow was packing around the tire. The Summit has a tighter fit around the tire. If you are really going to rely on the ski in remote areas I would still go with the Fluidyne/Wip retract set-up but they are a lot of money and weight. If you are going to use them in more forgiving environments, I would go with Summit's. I have a fair amount of glacier mountain time in Alaska as my background. They are a blast to explore the wild.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 09-20-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks for the response- I am in Michigan and though winters are long I am looking mostly at relatively forgiving snow with depths of 6-8 inches, packed, and a lot of frozen lake landing. I am leaning towards the Summit skis due to the light weight and easy initial installation. New at this, I want to be as confident as possible that the two makers skis are equally sturdy standing up to inadvertent side loads- my only reservation with the Summit skis is the Monocoque construction with the main attachment bracket applied to the upper surface without internal framework. I have not seen any posts or net comments indicating a tendency for weakness there, which I take as a good sign.
    Thanks for this and any other input; getting excited for winter adventures this year!

I have the summit ski on carbon cub and very happy. Used last season in vt. Ski has great floatation. Makes the ac able to land in most snow conditions. Installation was very easy. Excellent instructions. Mike at summit is a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for the follow up, kevino and cityrancher: sounds like this might be the way to go. Mike at Summit has indeed been very responsive and helpful so far and I suspect I will pull the trigger and get going on my ski purchase. I appreciate your input as well as any input from others out there.
    Thanks again!

I installed a set of FliLite 3000s on my carbon cub last winter. They are heavy ( 48 pounds each ) and require either a hand or electric hydraulic pump , but are rugged and have great flotation. Unlike the Fluidyne or Whip C3000, two flotation booms extend all the way to the tail. The design also features a moveable plate which slides under the wheel for ski operation. With the exception of one hole which must be accurately drilled through the inboard section of the axle, the installation is straightforward. I placed the hand pump between my legs, others locate it on the sidewall.
    If you could find a set, you are welcome to all my installation photos and notes. Make sure to acquire all the brackets and bungee fittings with the skis. None of those parts are still manufactured. Usually a used set in good shape brings in the range of 10K. Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jebakeman View Post
    Thanks for the response- I am in Michigan and though winters are long I am looking mostly at relatively forgiving snow with depths of 6-8 inches, packed, and a lot of frozen lake landing. I am leaning towards the Summit skis due to the light weight and easy initial installation. New at this, I want to be as confident as possible that the two makers skis are equally sturdy standing up to inadvertent side loads- my only reservation with the Summit skis is the Monocoque construction with the main attachment bracket applied to the upper surface without internal framework. I have not seen any posts or net comments indicating a tendency for weakness there, which I take as a good sign.
    Thanks for this and any other input; getting excited for winter adventures this year!
    Love my Summits!!!!!!

Joe206 skis work great. 2 years ago he landed at my strip and I was walking in snow over my knee and his tracks were only a few inches deep. These look interesting also, less drag. http://www.datumair.com/skis.php

Glenn

Skis rock, everyone should have a chance to play in the snow.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Skis rock, everyone should have a chance to play in the snow.

Glenn
    How deep of snow can you land in before you get in trouble?