Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Snow Skis

  1. #11
    Senior Member cityrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Walla Walla
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    How deep of snow can you land in before you get in trouble?
    That is a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables. I used to carry a rock with orange flagging attached and if the snow was questionable depth wise, I would drop it and see if it was showing any orange. Always be prepared to go around if the floatation doesn't feel good when you first touch. Carry snow shoes so you can tramp a ramp if you get stuck.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Odessa, Wa.
    Posts
    42

    Smile Re: Snow Skis

    Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    That is a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables. I used to carry a rock with orange flagging attached and if the snow was questionable depth wise, I would drop it and see if it was showing any orange. Always be prepared to go around if the floatation doesn't feel good when you first touch. Carry snow shoes so you can tramp a ramp if you get stuck.
    Thanks for the info but how deep is too deep? I will be living in Priest Lake this winter and don't want to get myself in serious trouble. I get it , around the central basin there probably wont be enough accumulation to really worry about but up in Priest Lake the snow can get really deep with varying conditions. How far would you settle in before you would call it quits. and would you need a ski on the tail wheel or is a baby bush wheel OK.?

  3. #13
    Senior Member cityrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Walla Walla
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    I will give you a very general idea. If the snow is knee deep when walking without snow shoes, I would have my alert antenna up. If it is this deep I think you will want a tailwheel ski. It doesn't take a lot of drag to slow the aircraft a lot for take off. I hesitate to give advice on this because a lot of judgement is involved. Start with the easy stuff and work your confidence up with experience. Any off airport landing has risk, use prudent judgement.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Odessa, Wa.
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    I will give you a very general idea. If the snow is knee deep when walking without snow shoes, I would have my alert antenna up. If it is this deep I think you will want a tailwheel ski. It doesn't take a lot of drag to slow the aircraft a lot for take off. I hesitate to give advice on this because a lot of judgement is involved. Start with the easy stuff and work your confidence up with experience. Any off airport landing has risk, use prudent judgement.
    Thanks.. I have been told by some very experienced back country pilots to stay away from skis. I think up here there would be too much risk given the massive amount of snow they get around here. If I was flying an old super cub or scout or 170b, something that wouldn't break the bank if it were lost, I might try it. Im too scared to damage my new plane just yet. Thanks for them info. It was very helpful.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Clay Hammond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    Best thing you can do your first season on skis is follow someone else around who knows what they are doing. Buddy system with an experienced buddy. Carbon Cub is as lightweight as they come and the Summits or others can be set up so that you float right across the top of whatever you are working in (for the most part...YMMV). Conditions play a big part...fresh versus old snow, temperature and depth... Get with someone who can show you the ropes. Don't try and figure it out yourself, but don't not do it just because someone else says not to.
    _______________________
    Clay Hammond

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Odessa, Wa.
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Best thing you can do your first season on skis is follow someone else around who knows what they are doing. Buddy system with an experienced buddy. Carbon Cub is as lightweight as they come and the Summits or others can be set up so that you float right across the top of whatever you are working in (for the most part...YMMV). Conditions play a big part...fresh versus old snow, temperature and depth... Get with someone who can show you the ropes. Don't try and figure it out yourself, but don't not do it just because someone else says not to.
    I dont know of anyone who is running skis except in the basin where there isn't enough snow to cause a problem. I have never seen skis in the priest lake area except on the snowmobile beaten runways. I think I will watch and wait. Thanks.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Dan L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    IMG_2014.jpg

    In the Carbon Cub with its power to weight ratio I haven't found any conditions that were too much.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Odessa, Wa.
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    IMG_2014.jpg

    In the Carbon Cub with its power to weight ratio I haven't found any conditions that were too much.
    Those are very big skis.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Clay Hammond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    264
    _______________________
    Clay Hammond

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Odessa, Wa.
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Snow Skis

    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Looks very nice.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •