Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOSS system

Question AOSS system

Has anyone put the AOSS gear on a Carbon Cub?
    How much improvement in the "bounce" can you expect?
    I am going with 8.50 tires for a modest off airport capability and better wear than ABW on pavement.
    How well will the AOSS system work with that setup?
    Bill

Default Re: AOSS system

I had AOSS on my S2 and now on my CC ( before I installed the Amphibs but will switch back and forth)and put about 500 hours on AOSS with 26 inch Bushwheels and I love it. There is good and sensible debate as to how much dampening it adds when running 26 inch Bushwheels as they absorb alot of the landing. That said I still like AOSS and figure is just might save yur bacon on a very hard landing. Below is a video on YouTube someone published that show AOSS in action with 8.50 and shows its working harder than we thought. Hope that helps. Regards Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtveiFL2HnQ

Thanks for the input.
    How much weight does the AOSS system add?
    I wonder if it's too late to add it to my airplane?
    Bill

glickle
    By the way, I have been flying the Super Cub at North Palm Beach Airport to get some current tailwheel time before my new airplane is delivered.
    It's been almost 50 years since I last flew a tailwheel airplane (J3) and I have forgotten everything.
    What a humbling experence to go back to tailwheel after all this time in heavy tricycle twins.
    RUDDER, RUDDER, RUDDER!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    How much weight does the AOSS system add?
    I wonder if it's too late to add it to my airplane?
    Bill
    Bill,
    It adds 5.6 lbs. This is a bolt on change and can be done at any time, the only reason to order it with the plane is that we then paint the bodies to match. You might consider trying the bungee system for a while and see if you find it lacking in some way -- weight is the enemy of performance!
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Bill,
    It adds 5.6 lbs. This is a bolt on change and can be done at any time, the only reason to order it with the plane is that we then paint the bodies to match. You might consider trying the bungee system for a while and see if you find it lacking in some way -- weight is the enemy of performance!

I agree completely... Think of your mission. If you add 6 lbs, it will be there forever bleeding off performance. If you need it, OK; but if most of your work is on pavement, I would think really hard about the additon for occational use. I never fly pavement and the bungees have been great. The most important thing any of us can do to lessen strains on our cubs... is practice, practice, practice... Enjoy that beautiful aircraft.... Ralph

Talking Re: AOSS system

OK - you have talked me out of it -- for now!
    LOL
    Bill

Bill,

The AOSS works better in ALL SITUATIONS. With small tires on airport and big tires off airport. It doesn't matter the situation it is well worth the 6 lbs in my opinion. Give me a call if you want the low down, all my info is on www.californiacubs.com
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Ben, Did you ever get with Burl about softening up the AOSS inserts? Wondering what you found out and is that your UTUBE video bennyhahaha that shows AOSS in action and if so is that a stock AOSS we have or one with softer dampening? Regards Gary

Gary,

The AOSS in the video is a much softer setup then the original design. That set up is what is on all the airplanes coming out of the factory now. We have almost nailed the perfect set up. Burl is sending down a set for me to test this week. If it goes how we think it will we should have the perfect set up for the Carbon Cub and S2.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com