Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 8.50 x 6 LSA Tundra Tires (4 Ply)

Default Re: New 8.50 x 6 LSA Tundra Tires (4 Ply)

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Anyone know if they use the same tube as normal 8.50 x 6 tires? Tried to get a response from CC store....but no answer.

Jon

Looks Like they do take the 8.50 x 6 tube. Here is the link to the tire on Desser. If you call them I'm sure they could confirm.

MR

http://www.desser.com/store/products...TH-TUNDRA.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post

I don't know what tire pressures are recommended but have found that about 10 lbs on the lighter plane and closer to 11 or 12 lbs on the heavier plane works well. Much below 8 or 9 and they really look low and the airplane gets harder to push around on the ground.
    Pete D,

Running that low of pressure with these new tires have you guys had any valve stem problems? I know when I had my J-3 if the pressure got to around 10 PSI the tire could slip on the rim during braking and it would cut the valve stem off the tube. Have you seen that with these new tires? That's the only thing that keeps me from ordering a set.

MR

I have seen the valve stem issue with low pressure and hard braking on other tires down near 5 lbs. Typically more likely in cold weather. It is definitely a good idea to regularly check your tire pressure especially after large temperature changes in the weather.

I am trying to track down some sort of manufacture recommended inflation on these. The sidewalls are not marked like some tires are.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I have seen the valve stem issue with low pressure and hard braking on other tires down near 5 lbs. Typically more likely in cold weather. It is definitely a good idea to regularly check your tire pressure especially after large temperature changes in the weather.

I am trying to track down some sort of manufacture recommended inflation on these. The sidewalls are not marked like some tires are.
    Hi Pete,
    Ive had some customers down here in the Southwest ask me about the Desser 26" tires as well… I assume they will fit on the rims we have when we ordered the Airstreak 26" tires, right? When buying the Desser, does one need to order a set of tubes to go with it? And finally, how do the actual height of the Desser's compare to the Airstreak 26" tires we sell with the CarbonCub? I know the Goodyear 26" tires are significantly smaller. I guess it depends how they measure them….

Thx! Rick

I used to be able to intercept a radial to/from an NDB, but never have been able to understand tire sizes ;-)

I think the full name of these tires should be

22 x 8.50-6 4 Ply

which means 22 inch diameter, 8.5 inches wide and fitting on a 6 inch wheel rim. SportsCub/Carbon Cub come with 6 inch wheels so any -6 tires should fit.

Other web sites suggest the 22 inch is generous and varies a lot for these tires.

I've never been able to figure out why the 8.5 is written sometimes as 8:50 or 850, and why a 8.5 tire is often so much bigger diameter than a 8.0 tire.

Robert

Yes, the same wheels will fit.

Yes, you will need a set of tubes to go with the Desser tires.

The height of both (Desser and Airstreak) varies some with how much pressure you put in them. I don't have any measurements to go off the top of my head but the Desser will look more like an 8.50 with no grooves than the 26" Airstreak.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Hi Pete,
    Ive had some customers down here in the Southwest ask me about the Desser 26" tires as well… I assume they will fit on the rims we have when we ordered the Airstreak 26" tires, right? When buying the Desser, does one need to order a set of tubes to go with it? And finally, how do the actual height of the Desser's compare to the Airstreak 26" tires we sell with the CarbonCub? I know the Goodyear 26" tires are significantly smaller. I guess it depends how they measure them….

Thx! Rick
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Yes, the same wheels will fit.

Yes, you will need a set of tubes to go with the Desser tires.

The height of both (Desser and Airstreak) varies some with how much pressure you put in them. I don't have any measurements to go off the top of my head but the Desser will look more like an 8.50 with no grooves than the 26" Airstreak.

Pete
    Thx, Pete!

Hi all,

Does anyone have an update on how these tires are holding up off airport? I'm based at an asphalt runway but 90-95% of my landings are off airport in the desert and dirt strips. My concern is the lighter tire being more easily damaged by thorns and sticks as well as the chance of ripping off the valve stem at lower pressures.

Any first hand experience would be appreciated as my 26" Airstreaks just started showing cord and I need to decide soon.

Thanks,
    Paul K.

We had one shear a valve stem on the company Sport Cub running in the 12 lb ish range. Probably good to run them at least at 18-20 minimum.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks for the quick reply Pete. That answers my question

Paul K.