Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poly-Tone vs. Urethane

Default Poly-Tone vs. Urethane

From my first phone call to Mitch I have been running color choices and paint schemes through my head and after Camp CubCrafters at OSH14 I have settled on a color and scheme. Now the debate is which product? I'm about 3 weeks from having to shoot color on it. So I figured I'd ask those that have come before me. What have you used, what did you like/dislike? If you built a second, third or fourth what would you do differently with your color coat?

Thanks,

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Default Re: Poly-Tone vs. Urethane

I had put Poly-Tone on my second CCub and was not happy at all Poly-tone does not wear well there were gas stains on the top of the wing and if you tried to polish them out the paint would come off. The only advantage to Poly-Tone its easy to fix. I used PPG Urethane on #3 and am very happy with it.
    EV

Thanks for the reply EV...I've been worried about the finishing process during the entire build. The last thing I want to do is spend a few hundred hours getting to this point and make a choice I may not be happy with. The "ease of the fix" with Poly-Tone is the one constant in everyone I've asked...I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to shy away from Urethane.

Thanks again,

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Poly tone,,easy to use but, stains, hard to clean and flat finish,, just didn't like it. Next two planes I used aero thane. VERY easy to use, shinny, easy to clean. hard as nails. I'm spraying silver on now and silver is really hard to use,,DANG IT !!!!

The answer to silver is base coat clear coat. I did that on my third one worked great. The only thing you do different is put a coat of white urethane over the last coat of silver Poyspray for a barrier coat then spray the silver base coat then the clear coat.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by 3371gary View Post
    I'm spraying silver on now and silver is really hard to use,,DANG IT !!!!
    Gary,

Is the silver aerothane hard to use over the silver polyspray?

I have recovered two J-3's and they required a white polytone coat before yellow urathane top coat. I was not planning on spraying a white coat on before painting silver urathane on my CC. I was thinking the silver urethane had enough pigment to cover.

Does cubcrafters spray a white coat over the polyspray before silver top coat? I was really hoping to skip that step and save some $$$, time and weight!

MR

It should be no problem covering the poly-spray with aerothane. If you are going to use silver aerothane then you wouldn't need to spray a coat of white. The white coat was for the base coat clear coat buffer if you used that process.
    EV

I did spray a light coat of white on first, just to lighten the sliver a bit. The silver is a challenge. I bought a better gun to break up the paint better. It did help but dang,,,,it's still hard to get the even flow. I talked to the cub crafters painter, he said aero-thane was the hardest sliver to use and I would have to agree!! It's still a little darker than their sliver but it's really nice and smooth!!! About the time I get this figured out I'll be done. (:-)))

Okay, so it sounds like urethane is the way to go. So now, Aerothane, Ranthane or PPG?

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

I have restored two certified cubs and used Ranthane for the top coat. I was very happy with the results. I have heard from the polyfiber distribuiters that ranthane is a better product than aerothane. However, after talking to Mitch I am going to use the PPG for my carbon cub. Mitch said it has better coverage than the ranthane and the factory doesn't need to coat over the silver poly spray before spraying the Silver PPG top coat.

If you choose the Ranthane and are going with the yellow top coat it is a must to spray a white coat over the silver polyspray. If you don't, the yellow will have green tint to it when you are done. I am not sure if a white coat would be required before yellow PPG?

MR
    Last edited by Cubrath; 09-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.