Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poly-Tone vs. Urethane

Default Re: Poly-Tone vs. Urethane

Silver single stage silver is a very hard color to paint. I did my silver in base coat clear coat but I had to put a coat of urethane over the last coat of polyspray. Also check the price of PPG I paid $1200.00 a gal. for Yellow.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Silver single stage silver is a very hard color to paint. I did my silver in base coat clear coat but I had to put a coat of urethane over the last coat of polyspray. Also check the price of PPG I paid $1200.00 a gal. for Yellow.
    EV

Wow, $1200 a gal. I hadn't got to the pricing of PPG yet. If that is the case it will be back to Ranthane for me. Ranthane runs $230 a gal, add catylest and reducer it equals aprox $400 for 1 1/2 gal of sprayable paint. The last cub I did took just over three gal of top coat urethane. As you can see it was yellow so I sprayed a coat of white polytone before the ranthane top coat. I was very happy with the Ranthane.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cubrath; 09-13-2014 at 07:02 AM.

$1200/gal...maybe I'll just pick up some Behr Latex from HD and call it good enough!

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    $1200/gal...maybe I'll just pick up some Behr Latex from HD and call it good enough!

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its a Carbon cub. It will look good in any paint!!

A little off subject, but has anyone ever done a complete vinyl wrap instead of painting? I'm getting close to finishing an RV-7 project and I'll probably wrap it instead of painting it. A CC-EX will be my next build and if I'm happy with the wrap on the RV, I'll probably wrap my CC. The vinyl is about 25% lighter than paint and your paint scheme is only limited to your imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen vinyl graphics on a cub but never a full wrap. Don't know if that would be possible over fabric???

With fabric you are going to be required to to do some painting depending on the fabric process you use. You have to be able to block the UV rays and seal the fabric. A wrap would not do that. If you don't want to paint I would think Oratex would be your best option.

MR

We used Ranthane, it was difficult to get a really smooth glossy finish, but it is an extremely durable paint. We found that cooling the mixture overnight and adding about 50% extra reducer seemed to improve the flow out, not sure why. Two or three thin coats works best. It took about four and a half gallons of paint plus catalyst and reducer on a yellow cub.

Color sanding and polishing will fix the errors, although that process is very time consuming. Sanding the paint on the fabric is not a good idea, especially where structural pieces backup the fabric.

If we did it again, PPG would be our choice, however we did not compare the costs.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    We used Ranthane, it was difficult to get a really smooth glossy finish, but it is an extremely durable paint. We found that cooling the mixture overnight and adding about 50% extra reducer seemed to improve the flow out, not sure why. Two or three thin coats works best. It took about four and a half gallons of paint plus catalyst and reducer on a yellow cub.

Dave
    I agree with the extra reducer with the Ranthane. Even the factory paint guys recommend that when I called. Did you put down a coat of white first before the yellow ranthane or did you spray it over silver?

MR

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I agree with the extra reducer with the Ranthane. Even the factory paint guys recommend that when I called. Did you put down a coat of white first before the yellow ranthane or did you spray it over silver?

MR
    Yes, we put a white coat of polytone over the silver on the fabric and Ranthane's white epoxy primer on everything else. We also mixed all the yellow paint cans together, although the cans appeared to have been from the same batch. That may not have been necessary, but we did not want to take a chance.

I used aerothane, easy to use, flows nice. High gloss finish. Price is right.

GW