Thread: Adjusting auto squelch on Garmin GTR 200 transceiver

Default Adjusting auto squelch on Garmin GTR 200 transceiver

After 130 hours I start picking up background noise as though I had the squelch on. I loaded the new software, 2.6, which comments on improved auto squelch; it might be better, but not cured. Is there a solution other than sending it back? Under warranty but would rather adjust than mail. Anybody else have the issue?

Default Re: Adjusting auto squelch on Garmin GTR 200 transceiver

Which panel do you have?

I would try pulling the CBs one at a time and figure out what circuit in the airplane is causing it. Pull one, see if there is a change, reset it. Go to the next one, repeat. There is a good chance one of them will cause the noise to stop, then you can work from there. Sometimes batteries charging in the system will cause that. A GPS, D180, Skyview, backup ignition battery, G3X IBBS, or the aircraft battery can put noise into the system when it is charging. If the battery gets weak that is one possible scenario you could start getting noise.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

You may want to check the antenna connections. We solved a similar problem with a Skyview system by upgrading the original antenna with one that has BNC connectors. The short unshielded portion of the coax inside the fuselage was enough to spike the EGT/CHT when we were transmitting. Running the strobes would intermittently break the squelch. As Pete suggested, isolating the source is the best approach, before taking anything apart. A handheld radio is useful for finding stray RF.

Another simple change I would make is to try a different headset. I upgraded to a GTR-200 about 5 months ago from an SL-30, night and day different. I use Bose headsets and I do notice on climb out if I don't have the headsets completely sealed around my ears (sun glasses are a big problem). Then I get enough noise I can't hear a thing. It's probably the ANR getting overloaded but while figuring it out I noticed the squelch had also opened up the mic. So I get the impression the GTR-200 is pretty sensitive to the mic and while unlikely it might be worth doing a quick headset change to rule the mic out.

Robert

PS If you buy a harness from Stein Air and take the time, you can upgrade to a GTR-200 and sell the SL-30 for more than the cost of the new radio and harness on ebay. Not many avionics upgrades save you money ;-)

It turned out that the connection from the cigarette lighter plug to my iPad was causing interferance. There is a way to adjust the auto squelch, but was not my problem. Should have looked for the most obvious issue, but couldn't see the forest for the trees.