Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Battery 12oz.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Emergency Battery 12oz.

Got one of these from the Mercedes Benz Club. Tried it on the CC with No battery installed, and it started just fine with 200-400 CCA. Then started my friends S-35 Bonanza (IO-520/ 12V) with no problem. At just 12OZ. I was wondering if anyone else has tried these since I'm thinking it might be a great light weight Emergency spare to carry in the plane on the off chance my Odyssey is dead?

Brand Antigravity Batteries
    Item Weight 12 ounces
    Product Dimensions 5 x 2.9 x 1 inches
    Item model number XP-3
    Manufacturer Part Number 92-XP3
    Bulb Type LED
    Amperage 400 A

The Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start XP-3 PPS (Personal Power Supply) is the world's smallest Jump Starter and Personal Power Supply. The XP-3 has a built-in Extreme Power Lithium battery that can hold a charge for years without recharge! Not only will it jump-start any car, truck, motorcycle or power-sports vehicle multiple times - with ease (As tested by My Battery Place, the XP-3 also provides hours of essential backup power to juice all your USB powered electronic devices like smart phones, tablets, or their baby the phablet...PSP's, GPS, MP3 Players, Bluetooth headsets & so many more applications. (does not charge tablets with 16V requirement) Weighing less than a pound (12 oz.) and small enough to fit in your pocket (Device measures 5"x2.8"x1"), you can take it with you anywhere and remain confident that you will be able to start your vehicle, make that important call, or power your child's tablet on that long trip in the car. Includes powerful built-in LED flashlight w/ selectable S.O.S & Beacon patterns built in! Charge your Android device, iPhone, or tablet near the pool, on your motorcycle or at the beach, all the while with the comfort of knowing you're never stranded if your vehicle battery dies. Note: AG-XP3 does not have laptop charging capability like the AG-XP1

PRODUCT: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&psc=1<br />
    VIDEO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7u8rQTt94
    Attached Images Attached Images
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: Emergency Battery 12oz.

Thats pretty cool, Steve!

How did you connect it to the CarbonCub to 'jump' it?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Thats pretty cool, Steve!

How did you connect it to the CarbonCub to 'jump' it?

Rick
    Just for the purpose of testing if the Micro-Start XP-3 could crank her over by itself, I removed
    both cables and connected the alligator clips from the Micro-Start direct to them. With by buddy
    in the back seat and on the brakes and throttle, I stood just in front of the strut and with left hand
    on throttle also, I started her. ( she cranked as well as with the Odyssey ).
    I'm guessing that if I were alone, I would lift the seat up. Lift the battery up. Attach the alligator clips.
    Set the brakes, and do the same thing. (Back to the Hand Prop J3 Days method-Only better since my
    left hand is already on the throttle and right hand on the ignition switch ).
    I'm sure there are other ideas of the best/safest way, but I'm used to hand propping a J3 from behind
    the prop, and this method works best for me.
    I've ordered the "Micro-Start Harness Kit" which connects direct to the planes battery terminals, and
    will just hang out below the back or front of the front seat. This will allow for instant, no hassle direct connect
    of the Micro-Start to the Planes battery.Plug and Play and allow a normal seat down-pilot in plane start.
    This Kit also has an adapter to allow the standard "Battery Minder" type plug to be used for charging.
    http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...t-harness-kit/
    Last edited by Steve Y; 08-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.

I haven't read up on the specifics of this battery pack, but I was reading through the thread and I wanted to put a word of caution out there.

I'm quite familiar with using lithium battery packs in hobbies (specifically remote controlled aircraft). Lithium cells like to be kept at a voltage between 3.3V - 4.2V. Likely this device has 3 of these cells in series creating a 12V lithium battery pack that ranges between 9.9V-12.6V.

Here comes the word of caution. Lithium batteries should not be overcharged or have their cell voltages drop too low. Beyond their 3.3-4.2V range they will begin to heat up and can catch on fire. There have been many remote control hobbyists who have had house fires because of this. Now in a consumer product like this I'd expect their is a regulating circuit that doesn't allow the device to charge past it's limit or drop below a minimum voltage and hence makes it a relatively safe product compared to unregulated lithium batteries used in the hobby world. But keep in mind that a severe impact that damages the cells can cause lithium batteries to catch fire.

The bottom line is this: If you are going to carry one of these around in the airplane with you, please inspect it periodically and maintain a proper charge. I would also keep it where it could be disposed of rapidly in flight. Personally I also wouldn't store it in the airplane. It would be a sad day to have my airplane catch on fire from this.

Anyways, there are my words of warning. I do think it's a great idea implemented with precautions.

I didn't get that big 'ole battery, so Ill have to try it with my normal sized one!

Rick and all
    I needed to add about 6 inches of wire to the harness for the old small battery.
    I cut off the supplied terminals and replaced them with the correct size for our battery screws - the supplied terminals are too big.
    Make sure you use wire the same size or larger for the extension.
    I extended with double crimped connectors and covered them with heat shrink for added insulation. Put heat shrink on the terminals as well.
    The harness was warm, not hot, after four starts.
    Bill

EARTH X EMERGENCY JUMP PACK CHARGER is Lithium Iron which I read as being safer than other Lithium Iron. The EarthX is also available at Aircraft Spruce. It has a optional jumper adaptor that allows the same cable/disconnect to be used for maintenance charger.

The Micro Start XP3 does not mention Lithium Iron, so most times when manufacturer does not say, it is a Lithium Ion.

My little battery (Sport Cub SN 28) starts engine OK when fully charged and cold, but alternator only charges above around 1200 RPM, so pattern work and long taxi-ing at idle or 1000 RPM, battery voltage falls to 12.5 and sometimes struggles to start when hot.

The jumper battery seems like an alternative to the battery box mod.

Is there any factory advice on the cable/disconnect quick connector being permanently installed in a S-LSA???
    Last edited by stroutmail; 08-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.

I have one of these in my bag of tools. I have not had to use it yet but I am sure I will. I have jumped my plane or hand propped it on occasion. This is a really nice option, and light weight. I will report back once I use it for the first time.
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES

With the Odyssey PC 680, the wire harness fits perfect out the front with no modifications.
    Last edited by Steve Y; 10-01-2014 at 03:20 PM.

In some earlier posts on this thread (#13-16) there was some discussion about lithium batteries and fire hazard that really got my attention. (Someone suggested keeping the jump start battery within reach in flight so you can toss it out the window if it started smoking!) The recommended jumper battery, the Micro-Start XP-3, seems like a great product, so I got one, along with the separate harness kit. It's a light, compact kit that looks likes it's perfect for carrying with in the CC that I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks. I also chatted with an acquaintance who is a research chemist specializing in batteries. I thought I'd pass along what I gleaned from the conversation about lithium batteries and fire hazard. In short, the fire issue is "real", but only in certain circumstances; namely over-charging the battery pack when recharging. Don't do it! And absolutely never ever try to recharge a frozen battery pack. Those are circumstances where problems might arise--for example, a battery pack left on charge for days on end in a hanger. Not good, especially a cold hanger. So, don't overcharge and don't try to recharge a battery pack that may be frozen and you will have avoided 99.9% (or thereabouts) of the risk of fire.

I also had a brief conversation with the Micro-Start folks about the harnesses--the one that comes with the power supply kit has clamps on the end of the harness, versus the harness sold separately that has round terminal fittings more likely to be left attached to the starter battery and plugged into the jumper power supply when needed. The former has small rectangular boxes in line on both the red and black wires. The latter has only a diode on the red wire--no rectangular boxes. I wondered why? Was I giving up something when using the latter? The response from Micro-Start was that the harness with clamps has, in addition to the diode found on the separately-sold harness, reverse polarity protection (the rectangular boxes) not deemed necessary with the separately-sold harness. That sounds plausible to me. Someone is a lot more likely to put the clamps on the wrong post than to put the round terminals on the wrong post and leave them that way.

Bottom line: I'm reassured on all counts and almost looking forward to my first depleted starter battery so I can use this neat little kit, along with the separate harness that I will have previously installed and left dangling from under the front seat!
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI