Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
Here's a follow up. I bought one of these things and the harness. The harness is too short to reach out under the seat in the front so I modified it so it would. You need the connector for the emergency battery in front of the seat so you can reach it to connect and then remove the emergency battery after starting. You should not leave the emergency battery on line while the engine is running for very long. It Should not be charged by a high capacity alternator.
Its easy to route the wires alongside the ELT out the front of the seat.
Bottom line. This device is amazing. It started my airplane with an installed battery that would not turn over the engine. (I installed an old X2 battery that had been sitting for a year and was down to 11.9 Volts)
The engine started easily four times and the emergency battery was still going strong.
I recharged the emergency battery in flight from the cigar lighter socket using the supplied charger.
Starting problem solved.
Bill
Bill,
great update! Thanks. Thats exactly what I intend to do. Can you describe how you 'modified' the harness so it would reach out from under the seat? Or is it just that you routed it out the front instead of the side? I envisioned the same thing, being able to hook up the backup battery and start the plane, WHILE sitting in the seat. I don't want to be standing outside and using the clips and having the seat up!

Any pictures would be appreciated!

Thx, Rick