Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Battery 12oz.

Default Emergency Battery 12oz.

Got one of these from the Mercedes Benz Club. Tried it on the CC with No battery installed, and it started just fine with 200-400 CCA. Then started my friends S-35 Bonanza (IO-520/ 12V) with no problem. At just 12OZ. I was wondering if anyone else has tried these since I'm thinking it might be a great light weight Emergency spare to carry in the plane on the off chance my Odyssey is dead?

Brand Antigravity Batteries
    Item Weight 12 ounces
    Product Dimensions 5 x 2.9 x 1 inches
    Item model number XP-3
    Manufacturer Part Number 92-XP3
    Bulb Type LED
    Amperage 400 A

The Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start XP-3 PPS (Personal Power Supply) is the world's smallest Jump Starter and Personal Power Supply. The XP-3 has a built-in Extreme Power Lithium battery that can hold a charge for years without recharge! Not only will it jump-start any car, truck, motorcycle or power-sports vehicle multiple times - with ease (As tested by My Battery Place, the XP-3 also provides hours of essential backup power to juice all your USB powered electronic devices like smart phones, tablets, or their baby the phablet...PSP's, GPS, MP3 Players, Bluetooth headsets & so many more applications. (does not charge tablets with 16V requirement) Weighing less than a pound (12 oz.) and small enough to fit in your pocket (Device measures 5"x2.8"x1"), you can take it with you anywhere and remain confident that you will be able to start your vehicle, make that important call, or power your child's tablet on that long trip in the car. Includes powerful built-in LED flashlight w/ selectable S.O.S & Beacon patterns built in! Charge your Android device, iPhone, or tablet near the pool, on your motorcycle or at the beach, all the while with the comfort of knowing you're never stranded if your vehicle battery dies. Note: AG-XP3 does not have laptop charging capability like the AG-XP1

PRODUCT: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&psc=1<br />
    VIDEO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7u8rQTt94
    Attached Images Attached Images
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: Emergency Battery 12oz.

Thats pretty cool, Steve!

How did you connect it to the CarbonCub to 'jump' it?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Thats pretty cool, Steve!

How did you connect it to the CarbonCub to 'jump' it?

Rick
    Just for the purpose of testing if the Micro-Start XP-3 could crank her over by itself, I removed
    both cables and connected the alligator clips from the Micro-Start direct to them. With by buddy
    in the back seat and on the brakes and throttle, I stood just in front of the strut and with left hand
    on throttle also, I started her. ( she cranked as well as with the Odyssey ).
    I'm guessing that if I were alone, I would lift the seat up. Lift the battery up. Attach the alligator clips.
    Set the brakes, and do the same thing. (Back to the Hand Prop J3 Days method-Only better since my
    left hand is already on the throttle and right hand on the ignition switch ).
    I'm sure there are other ideas of the best/safest way, but I'm used to hand propping a J3 from behind
    the prop, and this method works best for me.
    I've ordered the "Micro-Start Harness Kit" which connects direct to the planes battery terminals, and
    will just hang out below the back or front of the front seat. This will allow for instant, no hassle direct connect
    of the Micro-Start to the Planes battery.Plug and Play and allow a normal seat down-pilot in plane start.
    This Kit also has an adapter to allow the standard "Battery Minder" type plug to be used for charging.
    http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...t-harness-kit/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 08-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Steve
    Had to hand prop mine a few months ago left master on after checking gps for something, was no big deal ,it was cold second time fired right up. I always stood behind on my PA11 also. I would be a little concerned with that gauge of wire on the pig tail if I we're jump starting with a totally dead battery. Unless that pictures just deceiving. Just a thought.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Steve
    Had to hand prop mine a few months ago left master on after checking gps for something, was no big deal ,it was cold second time fired right up. I always stood behind on my PA11 also. I would be a little concerned with that gauge of wire on the pig tail if I we're jump starting with a totally dead battery. Unless that pictures just deceiving. Just a thought.
    Chuck
    I cranked on it a lot on the other plane and no problem with wire heating? Here is the wire kit description :

The MICRO-START Harness Kit was made so that a rider or driver can easily jump start their vehicle using just the MICRO-START without the need for the *clamps, or removing the seat. * It is a 12" (300mm) harness that connects directly to the battery while the other end can plug diretly into the MICRO-START unt. * It adds convenience and saves time if the situation arises when you have to jump start your vehicle...Just connnect the MICRO-START directly to this harness and jump-start your vehicle. *Also included in the kit is an adapter that converts the Micro-Start Harness (BLUE CONNECTOR) down to an SAE Connector (Battery Tender type) *so you can easily hook up your battery charger and elimiate the standard SAE harness you might have.

A standard Battery Tender type Harness WILL NOT handle jump-starting... the wire gauge is much to thin and it will melt the wires.

Just remember that if the main battery is completely dead and you remove the jump start battery after the engine starts you will not have voltage to excite the alternator circuit. You will need to leave it connected until the main battery has enough voltage. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Alex Bell

Alex makes a good point; if the primary battery is totally dead, the engine might not keep running after disconnecting the Micro Start Battery.
    On the harness web site, there is this warning about leaving the Micro Start plugged in after the jump:

PLEASE NOTE: THE MICRO-START IS FOR JUMP-STARTING ONLY THROUGH THE JUMP START PORT!!!! NEVER LEAVE THE MICRO-START CONNECTED TO YOUR VEHICLE'S BATTERY OR USE IN PLACE OF YOUR REGULAR BATTERY!!! DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE THE MICRO-START DIRECTLY FROM YOUR BATTERY THROUGH THE JUMP START PORT. SEVERE DAMAGE CAN RESULT!

Steve
    Looks like there are several types of this battery, presumably starting power. Confirming you were using the XP-3? There seems to be an XP=5 and XP-10

Rick

Steve (and all),

Being an active motorcyclist I spotted this a long time ago, it is marketed primarily in the powersports industry. I think it looks like a great backup to carry in a Carbon Cub... seems very light weight and also effective. Frankly, and unfortunately, we are often times too busy with larger issues than to spend time properly investigating accessories such as this.

All I can say at this point is that I plan to get one to keep in my flight bag with my tie-downs and windshield cleaner etc. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who opts to give it a try.
    Randy Lervold

Randy,
    I just ordered one as well, along with the harness. It will double as my trickle charger cable plug. There something comforting about having a way to start the plane when Im out in the middle of nowhere if my battery goes dead!

I watched the video, and the guy turned his motorcycle starter over 10 sec at a time for like 8-10 times, then went and started his Toyota Forerunner like 5 times, and the unit was still going strong!

Rick