Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Battery 12oz.

Default Re: Emergency Battery 12oz.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Here's a follow up. I bought one of these things and the harness. The harness is too short to reach out under the seat in the front so I modified it so it would. You need the connector for the emergency battery in front of the seat so you can reach it to connect and then remove the emergency battery after starting. You should not leave the emergency battery on line while the engine is running for very long. It Should not be charged by a high capacity alternator.
    Its easy to route the wires alongside the ELT out the front of the seat.
    Bottom line. This device is amazing. It started my airplane with an installed battery that would not turn over the engine. (I installed an old X2 battery that had been sitting for a year and was down to 11.9 Volts)
    The engine started easily four times and the emergency battery was still going strong.
    I recharged the emergency battery in flight from the cigar lighter socket using the supplied charger.
    Starting problem solved.
    Bill
    Bill,
    great update! Thanks. Thats exactly what I intend to do. Can you describe how you 'modified' the harness so it would reach out from under the seat? Or is it just that you routed it out the front instead of the side? I envisioned the same thing, being able to hook up the backup battery and start the plane, WHILE sitting in the seat. I don't want to be standing outside and using the clips and having the seat up!

Any pictures would be appreciated!

Thx, Rick

With the Odyssey PC 680, the wire harness fits perfect out the front with no modifications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 10-01-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

I didn't get that big 'ole battery, so Ill have to try it with my normal sized one!

Rick and all
    I needed to add about 6 inches of wire to the harness for the old small battery.
    I cut off the supplied terminals and replaced them with the correct size for our battery screws - the supplied terminals are too big.
    Make sure you use wire the same size or larger for the extension.
    I extended with double crimped connectors and covered them with heat shrink for added insulation. Put heat shrink on the terminals as well.
    The harness was warm, not hot, after four starts.
    Bill

Here's a follow up. I bought one of these things and the harness. The harness is too short to reach out under the seat in the front so I modified it so it would. You need the connector for the emergency battery in front of the seat so you can reach it to connect and then remove the emergency battery after starting. You should not leave the emergency battery on line while the engine is running for very long. It Should not be charged by a high capacity alternator.
    Its easy to route the wires alongside the ELT out the front of the seat.
    Bottom line. This device is amazing. It started my airplane with an installed battery that would not turn over the engine. (I installed an old X2 battery that had been sitting for a year and was down to 11.9 Volts)
    The engine started easily four times and the emergency battery was still going strong.
    I recharged the emergency battery in flight from the cigar lighter socket using the supplied charger.
    Starting problem solved.
    Bill
    Great real world feedback, thanks Bill! Probably should be standard equipment on the Carbon Cub. ;-)
    Randy Lervold

I agree with Randy... thanks Bill! Great description and attention to detail and doing it right.

Ill be doing the same mods! No sense in carrying a bigger/heavier battery, with this unit as a backup!

Rick

I've had mine for approx. 1 month and have used it twice. The 1st. time was on one of my company vehicles. The 2nd. time was today on my Cub. I had my avionics switch on for quite a while today while hooking up and testing my new Sky Guard Transmitter. www.skyguardtwx.com. I've already got a Garmin GDL39 and this TX gives me ADS-B in/out. Anyway, I suspected I may have a low battery and sure enough it barley cranked. I whipped out the XP-3 and she cranked right up!

David Morris
    Last edited by davidmorris; 10-02-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Small BUG-

Although I've found the battery to Jump the CC just fine, today I may have found a little Bug?
    I used the Wire Harness Kit, and although the length is fine with an Odessey PC680 battery, when
    I went to use the supplied adapter to connect the BatteryMinder (12248-AA-S3: 12Volt 8 Amp Odyssey,
    Hawker and Gill ) Charger, it gave me an Error red light on the charger. Since the wire harness has a
    small circuit board on the Red+ wire ( diode?), I can only assume the Automatic charger does not like the test
    signal. I suspect this device is to prevent alternator charge flow to the little jumper battery? The charger
    did just fine when I bypassed the wire harness and adapter, and just used the alligator clips on the terminals.
    Charging may work fine with another charger? I did call customer service at AntiGravity Batteries, and
    the tech said the positive wire heat shrinked device was a fuse....It's Not, I took the heat shrink off.
    I just reinstalled the smaller BatteryMinder cable along with the Micro Start heavy cable, and it charges
    just fine through that. So ya, now I have two cables coming out the front of the seat..
    Either way, the little battery Jumps the Cub like a GPU.. (-:
    For what it's worth....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 10-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Hummm---
    I had assumed the heat shrunk device in the red/positive lead was a automitive fuse in a holder since it sure looks like one through the heat shrink.
    So you say it's a diode and not a fuse? I wonder why the tech would say it's a fuse?
    I need to test mine. A simple ohmmeter test will tell if mine is a fuse or diode. Maybe it's both.

I keep a battery minder for my airplane connected through the cigar lighter plug. Works just fine and I don't need any other connectors.
    Bill

Hummm---
    I had assumed the heat shrunk device in the red/positive lead was a automitive fuse in a holder since it sure looks like one through the heat shrink.
    So you say it's a diode and not a fuse? I wonder why the tech would say it's a fuse?
    I need to test mine. A simple ohmmeter test will tell if mine is a fuse or diode. Maybe it's both.

I keep a battery minder for my airplane connected through the cigar lighter plug. Works just fine and I don't need any other connectors.
    Bill
    I note the "CLAMPS" DO have a Diode: From the web page: "These are a set of Micro-Start Replacement Clamps. They have a built in Diode to prevent from back-charge to the MICRO-START from the Vehicle. "
    A talk with a more savvy tech. at AntiGravity does confirm a diode on both the harness kit and supplied clamps wires kit. The new clamps
    also have a fuse on the negative wire. He admitted some chargers may not like the diode and confirmed others have just installed
    the light weight charger wires in addition to the Micro Start harness kit, thus having two sets of wires- one for charging and one for jumping.
    Last edited by Steve Y; 10-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.