Thread: Seaplane Grommets

Default Seaplane Grommets

Has anyone put seaplane grommets on? I know the standard drain hole is probably sufficient, but I kinda like the looks of the seaplane grommet. Any thoughts? Do you think it makes a difference?

Default Re: Seaplane Grommets

Quote Originally Posted by dballin View Post
    Has anyone put seaplane grommets on? I know the standard drain hole is probably sufficient, but I kinda like the looks of the seaplane grommet. Any thoughts? Do you think it makes a difference?
    Ive used seaplane grommets but don't think they're necessary. And they're more work. On my EX the only place I used them was to run the wiring from the back of the fuselage into the rudder. They make a nice clean entry point for wires.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

In my last cub I used them in the bottom of my fuselage. Good idea on the wiring, I'm going to use that one.

MR

I used them on the bottom of the elevator between each rib just because that area gets drenched with every landing. A potential drawback is that they can pop off since they are simply glued on although I have not had any fall off yet. I think they are marginally better than a hole for areas that pick up a lot of water but that's just an unscientific opinion. The most important thing in a seaplae is to be darn sure every area that can trap water has a drain hole.