Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin GDL 393D ADS-B Weather & Traffic Installed in My CC Today

Default Re: Garmin GDL 393D ADS-B Weather & Traffic Installed in My CC Today

Reporting back as promised! After almost 10 hours of flying the past few days I'm satisfied with the performance of the GDL39 3D. Lots of cells to circumnavigate along my entire 3 hour flight home. No surprises and no loss of reception due to it sitting between the rudder pedals.

I think I paid $899.00. This was for the model with the battery.

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #275
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pete
    When did the factory start installing the connector referenced above?
    Thanks
    Bill

To the best of my knowledge that cable is not typically installed on the production line. My guess is there was a reference to that airplane getting the GDL 49 after the customer was going to receive the airplane and the dealer may have arraigned to have the cable installed on that s/n.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I'm bumping this thread.

Is anyone else using the GDL 39 3D (or GDL 39) with a GDU 37X display? If so,

Where do you mount the GDL 39? Is the location between the rudder pedals okay, or is something more remote better?

Did your CC come with the adapter cable attached to the GDU 37X, or did you add the cable? Did you do it yourself, or have it done by a radio shop?

Thanks
    Chuck
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I'm bumping this thread.

Is anyone else using the GDL 39 3D (or GDL 39) with a GDU 37X display? If so,

Where do you mount the GDL 39? Is the location between the rudder pedals okay, or is something more remote better?

Did your CC come with the adapter cable attached to the GDU 37X, or did you add the cable? Did you do it yourself, or have it done by a radio shop?

Thanks
    Chuck
    Chuck,

After flying many more hours after my 2014 post the position between the rudder pedals was great. To the best of my knowledge I never had a reception problem. It was out of the way and the cable was plenty long enough to reach. As for installation I ordered the cable from Garmin and gave it to my Avionics guy to install. It literally just plugs in. He looked behind the panel and said you've already got one. He cut the cable tie and plugged it in. I no longer have my 2013 CC as I now have a 2015 with G3X. I have the GDL39R in my new plane mounted behind the panel.

The setup I had was perfect. Worked great, out of the way and easy access to the GDU375 and 12 volt power plug.

David Morris
    N508DM
    2015 Carbon Cub
    Last edited by davidmorris; 02-12-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmorris View Post
    Chuck,

After flying many more hours after my 2014 post the position between the rudder pedals was great. To the best of my knowledge I never had a reception problem. It was out of the way and the cable was plenty long enough to reach. As for installation I ordered the cable from Garmin and gave it to my Avionics guy to install. It literally just plugs in. He looked behind the panel and said you've already got one. He cut the cable tie and plugged it in. I no longer have my 2013 CC as I now have a 2015 with G3X. I have the GDL39R in my new plane mounted behind the panel.

The setup I had was perfect. Worked great, out of the way and easy access to the GDU375 and 12 volt power plug.
    Thanks David. I pulled my GDU 375, and it doesn't have a cable for a GDL 39 pre-installed. This is CC s/n 238. The GDL 39 cable available from Garmin is a bare wire cable that installs into the main GDU 375 connector. I don't feel like opening up that connector so I'll probably get an avionics shop to do it.

At the same time I'll probably get the GTX 330 transponder upgraded to 330ES, and add a 20A GPS to give ADS-B out.

I'm also curious, is anyone else with the original Executive Glass panel using the 20A GPS with the 330 upgraded with the extended squitter? Seem like an easy way to get to ADS-B out.

Chuck
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA