Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GDL 393D ADS-B Weather & Traffic Installed in My CC Today

Default Garmin GDL 393D ADS-B Weather & Traffic Installed in My CC Today

To start with I have Carbon Cub #275 with Executive Panel.

I bought a Garmin GDL 393D ADS-B at Oshkosh along with a cable to connect to my Garmin GDL-375. Since this is a bare wire cable I felt more comfortable letting my Avionics guy install it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the correct cable already installed and coiled up behind my panel. All I had to do was cut the zip tie and connect it to the GDL39 3D. By the way the GDL39 sits perfectly on the floor between the rudder pedals. Velcro holds it in place nicely. 5 minute installation. I'll post a pic of mine soon.

I highly recommend the Garmin GDL39 3D. I get weather and traffic on my Garmin. Love it! As an added bonus I really like Garmin Pilot on my iPad. I've used Foreflight for years but after only a few days Garmin Pilot seems much more intuitive. Will keep the iPad tucked away as back-up or to play with on extended trips.

The picture is a screen shot taken from my iPad today. Didn't think to take a screen shot of my 375 but will soon and post.

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #275
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidmorris; 08-06-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Default Re: Garmin GDL 393D ADS-B Weather & Traffic Installed in My CC Today

David

That's great. I have #293, I'll have to see if I have that wire. Any chance you have a picture from below the panel to show the cable connection?

Jon

David, I have also been interested in the Garmin GDL39-3D. Would you clarify the unit you have. Your installation location leads me to believe you have a GDL39R (remote). I was also under the impression the the GDL39-3D was not yet offered in a remote box. You can probably tell I'm a little confused as to what models Garmin has to offer. I've always been a little turned off by stuff that rest on the glare shield so your location got my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    David

That's great. I have #293, I'll have to see if I have that wire. Any chance you have a picture from below the panel to show the cable connection?

Jon
    Me too Please ... (-:
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Me too Please ... (-:
    I have the GLD39-3D with the optional battery. To the best of my knowledge the R model is not available in 3D. I don't like stuff on my glare shield either so I tried this location. So far based on the way I get in and out of the plane this location works and reception is fine. I didn't have black zip ties but as you can see from the white one the wire is strapped down and really not noticeable. The cable simply plugs into the side of the Garmin. It comes with a cigarette lighter adapter should you want to use it in other aircraft with an iPhone/iPad.

Hope this helps!

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #275
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidmorris; 08-06-2014 at 11:52 AM.

David, thanks for the pics and the clarification. I would have never guessed that this location would work. I always assumed the receiver needed a unobstructed view to the sky. I like the additional features the 3D version has over the standard GDL39 and GDL39R (SVX and AHRS). I'm definitely getting more interested!

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    David, thanks for the pics and the clarification. I would have never guessed that this location would work. I always assumed the receiver needed a unobstructed view to the sky. I like the additional features the 3D version has over the standard GDL39 and GDL39R (SVX and AHRS). I'm definitely getting more interested!
    I'll be flying approx. 10 hours over the next 4 days. Two of my legs will be almost 3 hours each. I'll have plenty of time to confirm this location works consistently. I always kept my Stratus in a suction cup pouch on the side and never had a signal issue. I'll report back next week.

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #275

Very cool. I have sn123 and wonder if I have the cable too. Keep us posted.

David, how much did you pay for the device?

I guess you could run an ROI model based on the fact that you could give up satellite weather? Does anyone think you need both?