Thread: Skyview Touch ADS-B Traffic

Default Skyview Touch ADS-B Traffic

I am still flying calibration flights on my Dynon Skyview Touch installation in my new Carbon Cub. I configured Skyview Touch with two important options: the Dynon SV-ADSB-470 ADSB receiver and the Dynon SV-XPNDR-26X ADS-B Out Mode S Transponder. This combination of devices gives my Carbon Cub full 2020 ADSB capability, with a twist. Since the GPS driving the Skyview Touch System is not "ADS-B Compliant" it will not be "legal" after 2020 but with the current system it gives the Carbon Cub all of the features of a full ADS-B system.

I have been so busy calibrating and learning the basic Skyview Touch system that I have not had the chance to fully explore the ADS-B capability with only 5 hours on the installation.

Tonight over San Juan Island I got my first ASB-B traffic alert while operating in an area with "Full ADS-B" coverage. Here is a screen shot just after the alert:

If you look just southeast of the airplane icon in the center map inset you see a traffic target at my altitude ("00" next to the traffic icon). During the traffic alert (audible warning "Traffic") it showed a traffic target at 12 o'clock, 200' above me. This was my first traffic alert with the new Skyview Touch system so it caught me by surprise. I started looking around and an old Cessna 180 went shooting by my nose. That really confused me since I did not think an old C180 would be equipped with full ADS-B capability.

So back to the documentation. Here is how Dynon describes the capability of the Skyview coupled with the ADSB receiver and the ADS-B out transponder while operating in a "Full ADS-B" environment.

The SV-ADSB-470 works in tandem with your SV-XPNDR-26X or Garmin GTX 330ES transpondermodule to provide the ADS-B based TIS-B traffic picture around your aircraft when you haveboth products and a Navigation Mapping Software License is activated. This is enabled by thefollowing bidirectional data link capability:

1. The SV-XPNDR-26X or Garmin GTX 330ES has ADS-B out capability via its 1090ES capability.
    2. The SV-ADSB-470 contains an ADS-B 978MHz “UAT Band” receiver that can see other traffic – both ADS-B equipped targets AND radar targets - in the following manner:
      1. ADS-B equipped aircraft: The SV-ADSB-470 can detect traffic transmitting ADS-B out messages via 978 MHz directly.
      2. TIS-B: Additionally, the FAA’s ADS-B TIS-B service, seeing your transponder’s1090ES ADS-B out transmission - but knowing that your aircraft only has 978MHz input capability via the SV-ADSB-470 - assembles a traffic portrait of alltraffic that it knows about that are within 15 Nm and +/- 5000 ft. of your aircraft.This includes:
        1. (1) ADS-R (rebroadcast) targets: The FAA ADS-B system will rebroadcast all of the 1090ES ADS-B-equipped targets onto the 978 MHz band for yourbenefit
        2. (2) Radar targets: Any targets that the FAA’s radar system is aware of viaapproach, center, and other radar facilities.

The end result: your aircraft sees the vast majority of the aircraft that can possibly be a factor. Since SkyView participates in the ADS-B system via the SV-XPNDR-26X’s or GTX-330ES’s ADS-B out capability, it receives all of the traffic that the FAA knows is around your aircraft. In contrast, “receive only” ADS-B traffic solutions aren’t able to see the all traffic (such as radar-only targets) because they are not able to request traffic data from the FAA ADS-B ground stations.

What I did not know is that when operating in the "Full ADSB" mode I was getting traffic information for all aircraft around me with a transponder. That is how the old C180 presented as a traffic alert to me through the TIS-B service. Pretty amazing.

The hardware for my entire Skyview Touch system cost around $13,000. Active traffic detection systems alone cost much more in GA aircraft. Pretty good value from Dynon.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 07-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Skyview Touch ADS-B Traffic

A few comments about your system! First I have to say your carbon fiber panel is really first class. Great job! As for the traffic, that yellow rectangular icon with the vocal warning does get your attention. I get it a few times around the Charlotte, NC area. Makes you look hard and fast. Also, the last time I spoke with a Dynon tech rep he told me they were working on a certified ADSB system to upgrade ours and hinted it would be ready in time for the deadline.
    I plan on swapping my 10" for the touch as soon as it is available. After flying with the non-touch for awhile I can see where the touch screen would be handy. If you are interested, I put a short video of a landing in the foothills of NC on YouTube. Don't know how to put it on the forum. You can find it at Carbon cub landing at NC backcountry strip if you google it I think. You will get a good view of my Dynon equip.

Good news for Dynon users, same footprint as the original GPS so it will be an easy swap out,

New GPS Receiver/Antenna

Offers Industry's Most Affordable ADS-B Out 2020-Compliant Solution

The new SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna lets new and existing SkyView and Advanced AF-5000 series customers add a 2020-compliant GPS position source for ADS-B Out for only $590. As a drop-in replacement for the existing SV-GPS-250 receiver, owners of existing systems do not need to run any additional wires, coax, or install any new boxes in their aircraft.

When combined with our SV-XPNDR-261 Mode-S transponder, SkyView and Advanced Flight Systems customers meet all the transponder and ADS-B Out requirements for $2790. Pilots can also add the SV-ADSB-470 Traffic and Weather Receiver for the best-possible situational awareness in their aircraft. For more information, including a full set of frequently asked questions, visit the SV-GPS-2020 page. You can find a downloadable PDF brochure for the SV-GPS-2020 here. The SV-GPS-2020 is expected to be released in the fall.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Told you so! I have already traded my Skyview in for the touch screen and am looking forward to the 2020 addition. Was worth the $1200 for the new trade in. I also have the 470 and the 261 transponder. Seems that when the new 2020 gps is available we can leave the original 250 in and have a backup. I have never lost a signal but why not have the redundancy. Gives you a reason to purchase it as soon as it is available. Dynon may have had that in mind. Hmm!

Only thing I am concerned about is getting the wires to the box. Haven't had time to look at how hard it will be to route the wiring since all is closed off. A friend says he thinks you may be able to cut and wire the antenae to the existing wires but then you wont have the backup with the 250. Maybe someone has already thought of all this. If I figure it out will post it. If you do please post it.

Richard Phillips

The GPS antenna is on a dedicated port. The manual shows how to do multiple GPS antennas if you have multiple Skyview Displays:

See Page 8-1 for the GPS-250 installation section

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/I...ev_U_v12.2.pdf

It doesn't really say anything about two GPS antennas and one Skyview display. Might be a good question for Dynon and/or may be addresses when they come out with an updated installation manual that includes the SV-GPS-2020.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The GPS antenna is on a dedicated port. The manual shows how to do multiple GPS antennas if you have multiple Skyview Displays:

See Page 8-1 for the GPS-250 installation section

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/I...ev_U_v12.2.pdf

It doesn't really say anything about two GPS antennas and one Skyview display. Might be a good question for Dynon and/or may be addresses when they come out with an updated installation manual that includes the SV-GPS-2020.
    Talked to the Dynon folks at AirVenture today. New 2020 GPS is fully compatible with old GPS. Just snip the four wires to the GPS-250 and connect same lines to 2020.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA