Thread: Carbon Monoxide

Default Carbon Monoxide

Hi guys,
    I am having a little trouble with exhaust gas entering the cockpit during final and am wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
    On final at slow speed 45 to 50 mph I can smell exhaust and the CO detector starts to discolour, orange turning black,
    I have covered every opening on the bottom near the exhaust with duct tape and it still persists. I am flying with windows closed as it is winter here, haven't noticed it during the warmer weather as mostly either the window is open or the roof vent is forward.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Bruce
    EX 041

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Carbon Monoxide

There is definitely something amiss most likely in the engine compartment. You should not be smelling any exhaust under any circumstances because all exhaust should be discharged through the exhaust stack into the slip stream.

You could have a leak at a joint in the exhaust system in the engine compartment or in the heater muff. Since it is "winter" where you are, the heater is a potential source as well. The fact that you are smelling the exhaust at the slower speeds is probably due to the slower speeds reducing the outside air entering the naturally ventilated cabin of the CarbonCub thus reducing the percentage of fresh air.

It is good that you have noticed your carbon monoxide and can take care of the issue early. I have experienced a moderate case of CO poisoning and it is very subtle. CO takes as long time to leave your blood stream as you probably know.

Good luck,

John M.
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Default Re: Carbon Monoxide

I have traced the source of the CO in the cockpit, It only happens when the attitude is tail low on final approach at about 45 mph with a little throttle to arrest sink, the exhaust gas is entering the trim openings at the stabilator way down the back of the fuselage. I established this with the use of a CO experts monitor which I moved back until it was mright back and beeping before I could smell exhaust fumes.
    Bruce