Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine problems

Default Re: Engine problems

I've had a similar problem, and mine also occurred shortly after having the oil sump and fuel nozzle mods done. Taking off from a sandbar on the Missouri River, my engine began running very rough at full power. As I pulled the power back the engine smoothed out and I headed into the nearest airport in Columbia,Mo. Enroute, the engine ran smoothly at less than about three quarters throttle, but would begin missing at higher power. After landing I had the airplane checked at the local maintenance shop, but they could not find any obvious problem. I called Stan and he agreed to overnight a spare carburetor to me, since we suspected the problem was related to installation of the new fuel nozzle. Prior to this, I had 700 hours of trouble free operation on the engine.

The next day, with the new carb installed, everything checked fine on the ground, but right after takeoff I had the same problem. I landed, taxied back to the local shop, left the airplane with them to trouble shoot, and rented a car to get home to St Louis. One week and several thousand dollars of trouble shooting later, the airplane was repaired by replacing the sparkplugs and ignition coils. It was apparently not related to the new fuel nozzle or oil sump. This happened just a few weeks ago, and I've flown about 20 hours since then with no further problems. My airplane is a 2010 model, so it sounds like I need to also check the separation of the sparkplug and ignition coil wires.

[QUOTE=Gary Rainwater;10472 This happened just a few weeks ago, and I've flown about 20 hours since then with no further problems. .[/QUOTE]

Well now you are set for another 700 hours of fun. I checked my calendar and plan to leave for Oshkosh on Saturday July 26. Plan to leave around 8am. You going to be able to make it?
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES

Quote Originally Posted by J2cub View Post
    Well now you are set for another 700 hours of fun. I checked my calendar and plan to leave for Oshkosh on Saturday July 26. Plan to leave around 8am. You going to be able to make it?
    Yes, I'm planning to make the flight up with you, but I can only stay for one day.

Follow up on my engine problems. After changing spark plugs and checking the routing of the wires, the problem persisted and increased to the LT mag check would kill the engine. This was tracked down to one of the Lightspeed control boxes. Lightspeed was very helpful in the trouble shooting process and repaired the box promptly. Initial flight testing showed that the ignition system is functioning normally.

The work on the ignition system was delayed when the Dynon FightDk failed. It was sent back to Dynon for repair, reinstalled, and failed again in 10 minutes of use. Sent back to Dynon where the problem was traced to the back up battery the was malfunctioning and frying a diode on one of the circuit boards.

It has been a frustrating summer with no flying. I am looking forward to getting back in the air now.