Thread: G3X Update and problem with SL40 on Exec Panel

Default G3X Update and problem with SL40 on Exec Panel

I just discovered a glitch with my G3X update. Since updating to 8.6 and installing map data base updates, I can no longer get the radio frequencies to "Auto Transfer" to my SL 40 Radio. I spent 1 hour on the phone with Garmin and they asked me to check the MFD COMM PORT CONFIGUARATION. And this is what they asked me to set it to after several failed attempts:

RS-232 1 is set to Garmin VHF Comm
    RS-232 2 is set to GTX TIS-A In (I believe this lets my Zaon traffic device communicate with the G3X).

I tried this but it still wont transfer the radio frequencies over to the SL 40.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: G3X Update and problem with SL40 on Exec Panel

Help! The setting below is not working for the ZAON. Does anyone know the correct setting for the ZAON?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I just discovered a glitch with my G3X update. Since updating to 8.6 and installing map data base updates, I can no longer get the radio frequencies to "Auto Transfer" to my SL 40 Radio. I spent 1 hour on the phone with Garmin and they asked me to check the MFD COMM PORT CONFIGUARATION. And this is what they asked me to set it to after several failed attempts:

RS-232 2 is set to GTX TIS-A In (I believe this lets my Zaon traffic device communicate with the G3X).

I tried this but it still wont transfer the radio frequencies over to the SL 40.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a clip from the programming SOP on the production line.

The Zaon would have been a post-cert option, typically would have been added to port 3 since that port isn't set up for anything off the production line.

I have had one or two instances with other Garmin products (hand held GPSs) that a software update has caused a bug similar to this. A call to Garmin and they say no, no way this could happen but then shortly after another software update is released and it fixes the new issue the previous software update created. No notes in the change log but the issue mysteriously was fixed.

Sorry it took so long to get a reply.

20140702_083450.jpg
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Angry Re: G3X Update and problem with SL40 on Exec Panel

Pete

I tried setting Com Port 3 to TIS-A In in but that did not work for the ZAON. Current Com Port Settings are:
    RS-232 2 is set to GTX TIS-A In (I believe this is correct for the Zaon traffic deviceto communicate with the G3X as the green Check mark illuminates, although I have not flown with this setting yet to see if it works correctly). I am not sure why the factory would have used Com Port 2 for this. The Zaon was installed by Cubcrafters just prior to my departure.

RS-2323 (NOT SET)

The radio frequencies still do not transfer with the above setup.

I spoke to Tony at Garmin today and he told me to try setting Com Port 3 to Garmin VHF Comm so I will try that later today.

Very frustrating.

Pete (or anyone else who can help),

I am still having issues and really need some guidance.

Since installing the G3X Update to 8.6, I have also realized that the FlightDEK D180 is not getting wind speed and direction anymore (I assume this comes from the GDU 375) nor does not calculate fuel at the designated waypoint or fuel time remaining at waypoint (I also assume this MUST come from the GDU 375). I still cannot not get frequencies to direct transfer as well......ongoing issue.

Doesn't anyone at the factory have the original COM PORT settings for planes which went out with Executive packages? Or mine specifically which you added the Zaon to?

One good note is that Zaon traffic is working since I set COM PORT 2 to TIS IN......

Help, please help......I would really like to resolve these issues before heading to Oshkosh on Tuesday the 29th.....

20140702_083450.jpg[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Pete D;10492]Here is a clip from the programming SOP on the production line.

The Zaon would have been a post-cert option, typically would have been added to port 3 since that port isn't set up for anything off the production line.

I have had one or two instances with other Garmin products (hand held GPSs) that a software update has caused a bug similar to this. A call to Garmin and they say no, no way this could happen but then shortly after another software update is released and it fixes the new issue the previous software update created. No notes in the change log but the issue mysteriously was fixed.

Sorry it took so long to get a reply.

Per our phone conversation earlier today:

RS232 IN1, "SL 40 COM" and "Garmin VHF COM" should do the same thing as far as the frequency transfer to the SL40. Different versions of Garmin's software have the two options. If you have "SL 40 COM" option use that, otherwise the "Garmin VHF COM" will work too.

For RS232 IN and OUT 2, It sounds like the Zaon is wired to IN 2 and the D180 and the GTX 327 are wired to OUT 2. I believe the setting would then be "TIS In/NMEA +VHF Out". This will let you receive the Zaon info ("TIS in") and the D180 and the GTX327 should receive info on the "NMEA out". They will ignor the "+VHF" part of the data stream.

RS232 IN and OUT 3 sounds like it is unused and so should be set to "none"
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc