Thread: Carbon Cub Wing Rigging

Default Carbon Cub Wing Rigging

I received this question from Jim Stonier and though it would be interesting to other builders...

Mitch, I am ready to attach the wings, manual part2, page 84, wing level adaptor, with 3/8" x 3/8" block....Step 195 shows using this level adaptor on each wing to adjust for the correct dihederal, I am ok with this, but step 197 page 87, shows what appears to be the same level with the 3/8" block to set the wing washout...have I got this right?? I remember when building the wing there was a 1" block under the rear spar at the last rib for washout...could you please put me straight on this.......Jim

Default Re: Carbon Cub Wing Rigging

Jim

Great question. We use the block under the rear spar of the wing to simulate the washout that will be in the wing when it is installed on the fuselage. This installs all of the components in the wing so there should be very little stress on the component or fasteners once mounted to the fuselage with the same washout that was incorporated in the wing during buildup.
    You will use the same level adaptor to set both dihedral and washout. You will use step 192 and 194 of the finish manual to make sure the dihedral is the same for each wing and the level (with adaptor) to check and adjust the dihedral and washout for each individual wing.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Jim

Great question. We use the block under the rear spar of the wing to simulate the washout that will be in the wing when it is installed on the fuselage. This installs all of the components in the wing so there should be very little stress on the component or fasteners once mounted to the fuselage with the same washout that was incorporated in the wing during buildup.
    You will use the same level adaptor to set both dihedral and washout. You will use step 192 and 194 of the finish manual to make sure the dihedral is the same for each wing and the level (with adaptor) to check and adjust the dihedral and washout for each individual wing.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Mitch, I read this after setting my washout. Is the washout on the Carbon Cub wing the same as a PA18's? I used the smart level and set the last full outboard wing rib at 2.6 degrees less angle than the first inboard rib. This is per a fairly recent FAA circular on the subject specifically meant to simplify setting washout using a smart level on PA18's and 12's.

I too found the use of the same 3/8" block confusing. I did use that method to set the dihedral as well as the string and 3" dimension over the spar but not for washout.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Mitch, I read this after setting my washout. Is the washout on the Carbon Cub wing the same as a PA18's? I used the smart level and set the last full outboard wing rib at 2.6 degrees less angle than the first inboard rib. This is per a fairly recent FAA circular on the subject specifically meant to simplify setting washout using a smart level on PA18's and 12's.

I too found the use of the same 3/8" block confusing. I did use that method to set the dihedral as well as the string and 3" dimension over the spar but not for washout.
    Dan

The washout on the Carbon Cub is the same as the Super Cub. You should be just fine. Would you E-mail me that FAA Circular or post it to the forum.

Thanks
    Mitch

I found this old thread as I have just been setting up the rigging on my EX-2.

There seems to be some difference in the previously quoted washout of 2.6° and what you get using the level adapter.

The level adapter is a gradient of 3/8" in 30" which is just over 0.7°.

Can you confirm that is the recommended amount of washout?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
    I found this old thread as I have just been setting up the rigging on my EX-2.

There seems to be some difference in the previously quoted washout of 2.6° and what you get using the level adapter.

The level adapter is a gradient of 3/8" in 30" which is just over 0.7°.

Can you confirm that is the recommended amount of washout?
    That is correct that 3/8” in 30” in just over .7 degrees. The wing root I believe is a suppose to be 1.0 degree so that would make it a change of about 1.7 degrees from wing root to wing tip. Mitch and I just went over this in detail for my EX3 I just finished. The 3/8” washout setting is correct on rib 12. I attached the procedure form from cubcrafters here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Daveembry; 04-17-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Dave, thanks for that form. The manual is a little vague, but that now confirms everything I need to re-check and adjust.

That sounds like great progress for a finished EX-3 already!

I'm rigging the wings on my EX(1). Along the way I've tried to learn more about setting dihedral and wash out. I found this old thread interesting.

Earlier in this thread Mitch says that the wash out on a Carbon Cub is rigged the same as a PA 18 Super Cub, so I've looked at the Piper Service Bulletin 910A, Service memo #19. The string method is mentioned as the way to set dihedral. The 30 inch level with 3/8 inch spacer is a method to check that both wings are set with equal dihedral and to set wash out.

Our EX 1,2&3 Finish Manuals say set dihedral with string at 3 inches. In the Service Bulletin the string measurement for dihedral is 3 1/8". Makes me wonder if wash out is the same as a Super Cub would the dihedral be the same as Super Cubs. Three inches or three and one eighth inches?

Could engineering speak to this? I'm just curious because my first string check was about 1/16" above 3 1/8" and I wonder if that's OK.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...c/SB_0910A.pdf
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-17-2022 at 10:32 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Jim. I think the bulletin actually say it’s 3” +/- 1/8th inch. Also, did you download the form from CC I included in the post below? It explains in detail how to do it.

0617A1CD-385E-473A-9769-061D40C960DC.jpg

The only other thing I could add is that the distance that string is stretched (wingtip to wingtip) is a long way. I use a lightweight cotton string and be sure it’s stretch very tight. Chuck recently wrote in his thread about using a laser across this distance eliminating the worry over a tight string.

I also cover this in detail on Post #110 here https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post22769

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I'm rigging the wings on my EX(1). Along the way I've tried to learn more about setting dihedral and wash out. I found this old thread interesting.

Earlier in this thread Mitch says that the wash out on a Carbon Cub is rigged the same as a PA 18 Super Cub, so I've looked at the Piper Service Bulletin 910A, Service memo #19. The string method is mentioned as the way to set dihedral. The 30 inch level with 3/8 inch spacer is a method to check that both wings are set with equal dihedral and to set wash out.

Our EX 1,2&3 Finish Manuals say set dihedral with string at 3 inches. In the Service Bulletin the string measurement for dihedral is 3 1/8". Makes me wonder if wash out is the same as a Super Cub would the dihedral be the same as Super Cubs. Three inches or three and one eighth inches?

Could engineering speak to this? I'm just curious because my first string check was about 1/16" above 3 1/8" and I wonder if that's OK.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...c/SB_0910A.pdf
    Last edited by Daveembry; 09-18-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I didn't interpret that unusual symbol as plus or minus in the Piper SB. I didn't know what it was but I see that it could be + or -.

Further, adding to my question, the wording in the Piper Service Bulletin 910A says to "Check the dimension vertically from the string to the top of the fuselage front spar wing hinge fitting." Even though Cub Crafters has been doing this for a long time it's a leap for me to say this is the top of the spar. Maybe this SB has no application to the Carbon Cub. My EX Finish Manual says to measure from the top of the forward spar and it reinforces the text by showing a picture. I just don't think the fuselage front spar wing hinge fitting and top of the forward spar butt are actually the same place. What is the fuselage front spar wing hinge fitting?

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 5.26.31 PM.png

While installing my carburetor I was reading the CC 340 Engine Manual about removing and installing the carburetor on the Titan engine. I noticed that carburetor install final torque in that manual was to be 204 in-lbs. My Firewall Forward Manual said to torque the carburetor to 90 in-lbs. Talking with Kit Support after investigating they confirmed the correct final torque for the carburetor was in fact 204 in-lbs not 90 in-lbs. 90 in-lbs was only the initial torque...not the final torque for the installation. This is an example of why I am curious about things like this and reading the wording carefully.

Just an over thinker perhaps.
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-19-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    Jim Morrical